It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
Question about Safe Xanax Use

My doctor prescribed Xanax for my generalized anxiety disorder. I have heard a lot about how addictive it is.

He told me I could take it up to three times every day. I also heard I can use it as needed. He said either way is fine. But he did say that yes, it is addictive.

I don't want to get addicted. My 54 year old mother is addicted to prescription pills, has been for twenty five years, and it has been so hard to watch. She is currently in jail because of actions committed that she blames on her addiction. Anyhow...

The stuff really works for my anxiety, though. I have anxiety most every day but some days are worse than others. My question is this:

Can I take .5 mg of Xanax up to three times per day at a rate of every other day (with one day in between) or every two days without getting physically addicted?

Or does there need to be a longer stretch in between days to avoid dependence from happening?

Thanks!

Angela

Old 07-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

Andrea84 HB User
Re: Question about Safe Xanax Use

Take it as needed with limit set by the doctor and you will not become addicted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

The key is with taking Xanax is to use it when you need it, but try and find other ways to help your anxiety. You can try exercise, meditation, breathing exercises, therapy and other ways to relieve the anxiety. Going to a therapist can help a lot with finding what is causing your anxiety and helping to deal with it so it doesn't bother you so much. In the beginning, you will have to use the Xanax to deal with everyday life, but as your treatment progresses and you become able to deal with it, you will be able to lower your dosage and come off of it.
Xanax makes you "not care" about your problems and sometimes people use it as a crutch instead of really trying to deal with their stress. That's how people become addicted. Its like alcohol addiction. Instead of facing fears, you turn to the bottle to make your worries go away.
I do highly reccommend a therapist though. Mine has helped me considerably and I was worried in the beginning also.
Now I take them as needed and try to deal with my fears first before reaching for a pill

good luck,
lyl

Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

stressedteacher HB User

Please be careful!!

I became addicted to XANAX because a dr said it was ok to take it. It ruined a huge vacation and the detox of benzos is awful, awful, etc.

Try taking seroquel-- non addictive and it works wonders...

Be well...

Stressed

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
(female)

springgodess HB User

I think Xanax is ok to take for a while, but there is medication which is far more effective for GAD long term, such as an SSRI. Something like Prozac or Zoloft is not just for depression, but they had been found to help you a lot with GAD and panick attack, and I can tell you from personal experience, they work. I was put on Zoloft for panic attacks and in the begining I took a benzo (like Xanax) to help me feel more stable. After abou three weeks I stopped taking the benzo alltogether and simply stayed on Zoloft, which is not addictive, like Xanax. Even if it is addictive, it's not as terrible as people make it out to be, and there are people that take benzo's for years and years and are quite happy with it. But they are aware of the dosage and know how to taper off in case they need to (VERY slowly). So if nothing else works, you can choose to stay on it, but I would talk to your doctor and address other medications before you stay on the Xanax for a long time.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

You may also want to try buspar. It is for anxiety and is non addictive. It is taken like an antidepressant. Godbless

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
(female)

elervin1 HB User

Ive been on xanax for 11 yrs now, Ive tried to quit taking them and I have the hives real bad. I dont know that I can go without them after taking them so long, I only take them as needed. I just started taking Zoloft at night and it seems to be helping also.

Closed Thread