It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
neck tightness

when i get worried about something i notice that my neck on the sides towards the front get real tight and feel tense. i worry about swollen lymoh nodes but it feels like the muscles are tense.

how can you tell the diffrence between swollen nodes in the neck and just stress and muscle tightness

does anyone else get that tight neck feeling in the front of the neck on the sides??

Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
(male)

distressed1 HB User
Re: neck tightness

I get the very same thing. In fact, I've posted on this board recently with the same worry. I went to my dr. yesterday and she felt my lymph nodes and said they felt normal. My guess is that when I go through a very stressful period, my neck and jaw muscles get sore and tingly, and it makes the glands under my neck feel tingly and sore too. You may need some meds and massages to help relieve the tension. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stressedteacher HB User

One of the classic symptoms of anxiety is neck, back and chest tension. Some medications like Cymbalta and Neurontin help with this--and are not benzos or muscle relaxers.

When I get stressed my back and neck tense up and my chest feels tight. It also throbs where the base of my neck and my head sit.

It's a common, common experience.

Hot showers, massage and medication help.

Be well-

not so stressed

Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I've got the same situation. I had viral lymphopathy (swollen glands in my neck) likely because of a sore throat. The doc said that the glands were 90% back to normal (took about 2 weeks). But since I have anxiety, I also feel tightness and am very aware of my neck, throat, and jaw and imagine that everything is swelling up again and the virus is back. I am glad to hear that it could be anxiety since I suspected that. And that it is relatively common. I am hypochondriac and went on celexa to see if it will help.

c

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

bell2 HB User

Thank you all for bringing up the tension in the neck. I am having the SAME problem. My neck/should and jaw area is soooo tense. I take a hot bath..which does seem to help. I am going to start treating myself to monthly massages.
Bell2

Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
(male)

Josh_B HB User

I have the very same problem. Mine is HORRIBLE. On some days when i'm stressed, i'll get a knot on the back right side of my neck that is so big it looks like a folded towel under my skin and gives me the worst headache.

I feel your pain!!

Closed Thread