It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
(male)

Zitful Delight HB User
breathing anxiety?

does anyone get anxious when they think about breathing? is it just me? it seems i always have to be doing something to take my mind off it...when it gets really bad i start panicking like i cant breathe unless i conscientiously breathe on my own....especially when im out somewhere its really bad like breathing doesnt make sense or i panick that im going to suffocate....this is so stupid i hate anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: breathing anxiety?

Yes i have been dealing with this for over a year now. It always feels like i cant get a good breath and then i concentrate on it more and it just makes it worse. I have to keep myself busy to stop thinking about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
(male)

Zitful Delight HB User

thank you for responding. i appreciate it

Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

you're not alone...i had that happen today. i got in the car-didn't have a/c and it was extremely hot. i have vertigo too, so the hotter it is, the dizzier i get. of course, i started freaking out, and it felt like there was just not any air to breathe at all. i had to open my mouth to try to catch breaths and it almost felt like my nose was completely stopped up or something. weird--i hate it! but you're NOT alone!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
(female)

naomi81 HB User

I have it all the time, it triggers major panic attacks and I get really anxious about my health.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
(female)

midnightblu22 HB User

Im getting breathless just reading all of this! yes i have felt like this and i felt it may havesomething to do with OCD which i have had mildly.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
(male)

brysonav HB User

this is generally what my anxiety centers around, i constantly feel the need to monitor my breathing and if its not what i perceive as free and easy, it leads to a whole host of other anxiety symptoms. For me, it feels like I cant inhale all the way and my breaths are not satisfying

Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

sharon4370 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
you're not alone...i had that happen today. i got in the car-didn't have a/c and it was extremely hot. i have vertigo too, so the hotter it is, the dizzier i get. of course, i started freaking out, and it felt like there was just not any air to breathe at all. i had to open my mouth to try to catch breaths and it almost felt like my nose was completely stopped up or something. weird--i hate it! but you're NOT alone!
Wow, that is me in a nutshell!!! Especially with the vertigo...seems like if I am hot...whew the rooms a spinning!

I also find myself holding my breath alot of times??? I have to remind myself to breathe. Breathing just doesn't seem natural to me except for when I am sleeping.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I am also having breathing issues, it seems when I go to bed I have to be facing the box fan to breath in the blowing air, my throat sometimes feels like its closing too. I know it sounds wierd but thats how it is for me anyway.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
(female)

Lightlife HB User

Brysonav,

If that wasnt written by u, id have said i wrote that post !!

That is EXACTLY what i am dogged with in my life right now. People keep saying its panic attacks, and i guess it is, but not in a typical sense to me it isnt.

I get no other symptoms except the feeling i need to keep trying to get a full lung of breath in, which happens abt every 10th sigh, but the 9 in between is a struggle as it feels like my chest wont open up enough for me to breath. Ive been put on prozac i started today, im really hoping this will work in lowering my anxiety. It feels so real to me that id argue it was a chemical thing going on.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
(female)

t0ri111 HB User

This is my biggest issue I'm dealing with right now! It's so irritating, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

I have anxiety over breathing most when I am sitting in restaurants, laying in bed, or sometimes when I am around alot of people. It makes my heart race, and I feel as though I'm having shortening of breaths or simply can't breathe sufficiently. Boo. I hate this problem.

Is this a panic attack? Sometimes it is very hard to get it under control, and I have to go outside or to the bathroom to manage it somewhat. Will this fade with time or is medication probably needed? Mine's just gotten worse lately.

Last edited by t0ri111; 07-29-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
(female)

Lightlife HB User

This very thing is affecting my life so badly now, ive had to give in to Prozac to alleviate these episodes. Im on day 2 of these pills, and am hopeful they will help. im desperate for anything to work right now, as my life is thouroughly miserable. So go to your Doc and see what they say, i believe once its impeding onto your every day life, its time for some help. ive tried everything from yoga to breathing excercises, i have to say that when im told to learn to control my breathing, im giving it far too much attention, therefore making things worse, so im praying Prozac will give me some relief. im on 20mg to start with, lets see how it goes. Good luck, im with you, i know what your going through believe me

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-29-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Changed text message, chat room "word" to the proper word. Ms_Mod

Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
(male)

mariposa9 HB User

{REMOVED}

Unless you have some respiratory illnesses, asthma, copd, etc, I think most can be helped.

Whenever you feel anxiety with your breathing, make sure you slow it down. This may seem difficult to some with this dilemma, but it's done by making sure you take deep breaths, and most importantly, LONG AND SLOW EXHALATIONS. if you take a deep breath and let it out long and slow, right now, you'll feel yourself relaxing. And with practice, you'll become more relaxed, and learn how breathing helps tone down natural anxiety.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-29-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules and all "Sticky" posts at the top of this board. Ms_Mod

Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
(female)

Jamison HB User

This is so me right now!! This is my only symptom, and I feel like this all day every day. The breathing problems just hit me-the chest tightness, the feeling like I can't get enough air, and the feeling that if I don't think about it, my body might just forget to breathe.
It terrifies me, as I have learned over the years to control my actual panic attacks and now this is the only thing that I get, and I start to panic and think that the docs are missing something. But I know that it is most likely anxiety.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

I feel like I'm in a bear hug, not overbreathing like hyperventilating but almost like I am concentrating on every breath but it comes and goes.I have had all sorts of test, x-rays,bloodwork,echo's,ekg's and all perfect.I was on Prozac and it did help along with klonopin but had to quit the Prozac for a spell and sure enough it returned.Lightlife I think you hit it on the money when you mentioned giving the breathing too much attention and that's exactly what I do.I found walking with a good cd helps me alot and distracts me enough for a good workout and I usually feel alot better afterwards

Closed Thread