It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

mindmelt HB User
Question Lexapro 10mg 2nd day questions....

Hello,

I am 39 male and healthy but have had some troubles with sleeping and becoming anxious, other than that no meds taken and no prior history of mental illness etc

I saw my doctor who gave me some tests to take said I was mild depressed, not bipolar but my anxiety was severe, she prescribed lexapro 10mg and I took the first one yesterday at about 10am, she said it can take a while to kick in but I gotta say (it could be placebo?) but I feel totally mellow today, really relaxed shoulders not tight like usual and I don't have the sense of urgency to run around make lists become scatterbrained and feel wiped out by 3pm. Today in contrast, I had a nice breakfast read the paper, watched a program with my daughter, made her a nice lunch and have just really enjoyed the day.

One other thing I noticed by total accident was this morning I woke and wife and I had unplanned intercourse, normally I last about 5 mins or so, and it's a quicke so to speak, well after about 20 mins she was asking me to stop after her second orgasm yet I had not orgasmed once yet. THIS has never happened before, and she told me today she read online it has a side effect of helping premature ejaculation. But I had only taken 2 pills by that time, first morning about 10am second morning about 9am (second day morning about 10am had sex that lasted easily 4x longer).

She was also doing some checking and said it may cause vivid dreams, I guess that could be sexual, colorful, or even nightmares, hey I sure wouldn't mind some sexual ones why not right? hehe

I just wondered has anyone experienced anything like this in terms of literally 2 days into using lexapro 10mg that they are actually feeling really calm and that whole prolonged ejaculation thing well heck thats an awesome side effect I can certainly deal with.

Seriously though just trying to learn a bit more about this stuff is it all in my head (altho I had no idea about the premature ejaculation thing wife checked in on it after the sex this morning)...

Last edited by mindmelt; 08-03-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

mandy26 HB User
Re: Lexapro 10mg 2nd day questions....

Hello Mindmelt,
Well, I cannot speak from experience about any of the man-question/side effects of the med, since I have different equipment. But what you explained made sense to me... typ. early + delayed side effect may equal "normal" for you? I don't know...

But re: the early mellow effect: I started on 5mg of Lexapro 5.5 weeks ago (to titrate up to 10mg after 2 weeks), and I noticed that mellow feeling the first few days too. I also questioned the placebo effect, but realized that whether it was a real, biological feeling, or a hopeful placebo one, it didn't matter, b/c the mellow was a nice relief from the regular anxious feelings.

I've had some other less pleasant, but tolerable, side effects when I started the med, and at each incremental increase in dosage. Dry mouth, sore throat, mild headaches, stomach issues, smaller appetite--but these too only seemed to last for a few days while my body adjusted. (Haha, guess I'm in for a pleasant weekend of this again, since I just saw the doc today and I'm to up my dosage again to 20mg!)

Good luck! Happy to try to answer any other questions if you have them.

Last edited by mandy26; 08-03-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: Lexapro 10mg 2nd day questions....

I used to take Lexapro too and noticed the same maybe a few days to a week into taking I was already starting to feel somewhat better.I am also female so I cannot say on other thing but if its a listed side effect then thats probably whats happening.....all and all it sounds like so far so good for ya thats great.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
(male)

mindmelt HB User
Smile Re: Lexapro 10mg 2nd day questions....

Well this is day 4 into 10mg a day and I have slept more in the last few nights than I have in the last few weeks literally, not terrible bad cant stay awake sleep all day stuff, just good solid 9 hrs sleep at night, used to be id be up anxious or thinking easily till like 4,5,6am then waking up looking at the clock alot till at 830am. Now I am in bed by midnight sleeping thru till like 8-9am solid and even more cool I didn't wake up once!

Still trying to understand what VIVID dreams are, I have dreams but they don't seem any different than any other dreams (at least at 4 days in) the prolonged delay in orgasm is just awesome no complaints on that side effect

No other real side effects I can repot at this time except less appetite but it is also HOT here in the daytime so heat sorta makes me less hungry too so not sure on that one, altho I do honestly feel much more "mellow" calm etc, even today a car cut us off on the highway going VERY fast and almost sideswiped the front end as he weaved thru downtown detroit traffic, normally I would have had my heart pounding out of my chest and probably been a bit shaky (was in a bad car accident years ago hit by a drunk at 45mph from behind so being in the car sorta freaks me out at times) but obviously we all said WHOA! and had that moment of natural fear but I did notice like 2-3 mins later i was like wow im ok and much calmer than I would have been, wife even said something about that to me...

Not saying it will fix everything in my life that needs fixing but my complusions and anxiety filled head isn't anywhere near as bad and actually im not experiencing any side effects (or at least bad ones) so far things are good to report here

At night I used to reconfirm with the remote that i locked the cars and had alarms on, also always checking out windows and or worried i forgot to lock the garage, always making lists of stuff to do or that I need to do, always thinkin of bills and or ways to make more $ to pay more bills, just couldn't shut my thoughts off to get rest and or enjoy a normal day... haven't had ANY of those problems even with a list pad in front of me yeah I did a few things today marked some off the list but no new list no need to feel to make a list tonight that sorta thing so its a good feeling...

Actually about to go to bed here soon, used to have to make lists try to shut mind off to get to sleep and strangely I feel tired and confident i will be able to sleep tonight as I did the last few nights, feels pretty good to say that..

Last edited by mindmelt; 08-05-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Closed Thread