It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
I guess this is anxiety? What can I do?

Hello,

For the past 5 years or so I have had a problem, which seems to be caused by having to be around new people - such as when going on holidays, to uni, starting new jobs, going on dates, etc.

It doesn't happen TOO often, but when it does, it is extremely inconvenient.

It usually starts with a tight cramp pain just below my ribs. Sometimes when it is at this stage I somehow manage it so that it does not progress further. Eventually it usually leads to vomiting, which then lasts 2+ days. Some times I have been to hospital to fix it and to be re-hydrated, but they don't say anything about it. They just give needles. I think I know what it is from, but I don't know how to fix it.

I just went to see my brother, and spent 3 out of my 4 days off vomiting and not being able to stand up straight or sleep because of the cramp in my stomach. It just makes you feel so miserable, and once it starts, there is nothing you can do to make it go away - other than just suffer and wait for it to be over.

I would love some way to prevent it - other than just staying at home and hanging around familiar people! I try not to get excited about things, or I know this will happen. I have a holiday planned coming up, and I am just scared that it will happen and I will waste all the money and my leave from work!

Can anyone tell me what the actual term for this is, any books that might help, or anything else that I can do to fix my problem?

It hasn't happened, until recently, for ages - as I have been finished uni and at the same job, living at home, without any holidays for the past 18 months. I am 23 and need to move out eventually to another place. I would love to live in the city - going there just makes me sick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: I guess this is anxiety? What can I do?

Hello green octopus!
Even though I am not a doctor, it sounds to me like you are suffering from panic attacks! Your symptoms are very familiar to me. Sorry! They usually seem to appear at times of extreme anxiety, which arises from the fear of changing circumstances and going into unfamiliar ground. They are symptoms with psychological causes maskerating as physical illnesses. I have learnt that what seems to happen is this:
Humans have evolved to have an automatic physical reaction to real danger, which has saved us when we were up the trees from being eaten! It is the "fight or flight syndrome". Those days when we were facing extreme danger we only had the option to stay and fight or flee. The body is programmed to respond automatically and go through physical changes to deal with danger without asking the brain, because if it stopped to think if it was a real or imaginary danger, it would be... eaten: The heart beats faster to pump more blood, the muscles contract, the stomach closes down so that blood flows out to all the limbs, the skin shivers and then sweats, the head feels lighter and generally the mind and body get ready to flee or fight.
These days fortunately we have no beasts but we have beastly fears!. So, when we perceive a real or imaginary danger, our body without asking us, goes into the flree or fight mode. But of course it takes no action because it doesn't have to flee or fight. It just stays there. And HENCE you are left with all the physical symptoms of this flee and flight situation, racing heart, stomach pain, sweating and even fainting, without the relief of actually working them out of your body, as you would have done had you run for your life or fought with a beast.. And so you feel sick and think that there is actually something very wrong about you and so you fear again and then the whole process starts again.
So, once you understand that it is your mind which plays up this fear factor game, and not a really fearful situation, you will start being able to control the state of your mind. BUT you also need to see a doctor about this anxiety and alert him that it might be a panic attack.
I cannot tell you how many times I went to ER vomiting and thinking I had food poisoning, whereas I had a panic attack caused by really stressfull conditions at home which lasted a long time.
Do not worry, it is VERY TREATABLE with the correct diagnosis and the correct medicine. See to it as soon as possible so that it doesn't rule your life.
I hope I haven't scared you. It is something you CAN DEAL WITH VERY SUCCESSFULLY. I AM ONE OF THE MANY PEOPLE HERE WHO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONTROL THIS SITUATION.
GOD BLESS YOU COME BACK IF YOU NEED TO

Closed Thread