It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

mellyuk HB User
Oh My God< I Have Booked A Holiday, Panick!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I am getting there by plane.

I only booked it two days ago and I am already feeling sick and worrying about the flight.

Before anxiety I used to love flying, however I have avoided flying for 6 years, I have gone all over Europe by train. But now I am scared of trains and have no chose but to fly if I want to go away.

I am on a mission to beat all of my fears and this one is a biggy!!!

Anyone else have this fear and have recently conquered it? Any advice on how to get over this in 19 days will be great.

Cheers

Melly x

Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

HollyBerryGirl HB User
Re: Oh My God< I Have Booked A Holiday, Panick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't really help you with this one because I dont fly but I have to say that I admire you!!!!!!

Facing your fears is frightning but once it is over it is such a wonderful feeling.

Just tell yourself that you are excited about the trip not anxious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

mandy26 HB User

Yes, congrats on taking this step! Perhaps you could put together a small Comfort Pack in your carry-on? If there's anything from home you could include, anything that might typically calm you? A blanket perhaps? A few photos? A scent of home? Some lavender? Definitely pack something to keep your mind occupied... books, magazines, music. Perhaps you could put together a mixed CD or two of music that is soothing to you. Also, you could purchase a relaxation/meditation CD.

Another option would be to discuss some type of anxiety med w/ your doc to us just as needed--ie, just before your flight.

You can do this! Enjoy your holiday!!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

korgiee HB User

I just did this. I had a nine hour travel day with 4 friends. was so excited. Had it booked months in advance. Was throwing up the morning I was leaving. I just took my meds ( could not have gone if I didn't have ativan) and went. It was a very difficult process but you can do it. I just hate to fly. alyce

Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emma j HB User

Hey,
Just wanna say fair play to you for booking your hol. I am terrified of flying. Always have been. My famiy would never go away on holidays cos iwas toscared. But one year they booked a holiday i was about 11 so we where going. luckily i won a place on a special flight that was for nervous and first time flyers. i will never forget it. I cried from the security gate straight to the flight. I had my mam on one side and an air hostess on the other.
Since then i have flown alot. It started off with me being dragged on the plane kicking and screaming to just wanting to be left on my own. I'd walk ahead of my family and just being in my own thoughts. Then came flying without my dad- my security blanket!!
Then after one flight about 3 years ago where i took a major panick attack i decided i had to stop doing this to myself.So i went to the doc's and he put me on valim. Well i won't fly without it now. It is the best thing i've ever taken. Depending on how i'm feeling depends on how much i take or how the flight it going. I hate taking off so i always take it half an hour before i take off. It makes me feel slighty drunk and therefore takes away some of the fear. It takes that edge away. i'm still scared and very much aware of whats happening but i'm not screaming the plane down.
So after all my ramblings!!! Go to your doc ad ask him to maybe give you something to just relax you a little. I can fly now, i'm still scared out of my tree and gagging the whole day but once i take them everything is so much better.
Ok i'm gonna stop now!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-07-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please read the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
(female)

hisoo HB User

Well done for taking the first step! Last year I was terrified of going to far from home then booked a Holiday for me and my partner it seemed like Id made a mistake and that flying would be impossible for me. I went to the doctors and explained and was given Valium. While taking off i had a huge panic attack but the valium calmed me down so quickly i actually ended up enjoying the flight panic free! Good luck hun x

Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

Just have your doctor give you some xanax. That will calm you down.

A couple of months ago I had anxiety really bad and had to go back on my meds and that was a month before my trip. After my meds kicked in I didn't even need a xanax. Just take something to read and help get your mind off of things. Maybe even a portable DVD player to watch a movie.

Think of it this way You are more likely to die in a car accident than a plane crash

Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
(female)

Lightlife HB User

I wouldnt fly without Valium EVER. But.... this last flight i just went on the valium didnt seem to work. When i got home i went to doctor who said its because my natural anxiety state is higher than its ever been before, so the valium is struggling to contain my anxiety and panic when flying. Dont be disheartened, go to the Docs and get yourself some Valium, they usually work if you are relatively calm throught your every day life, its just ive been having panic attacks not even associated with flying so Doc put me on prozac, which i think may be kicking in a bit as im not having such harsh attacks. If i have bad attack coming on i stil take a valium, and im kind of sure it takes the edge off it. Im fling to australia later in year HELP !!!! im having congnitive behavoural therapy to face this head on and hopefully eventually stop taking all meds. Good luck

Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi All

thankd for your replys.

Well I am flying in the morning, got myself 20 valium, a MP3 player filled with relaxtion and affermation tracks and I am scared.

I have had a very bad week, everything wrong with me, panick attacks are back, struggling to get a grip on them and have had every illness possible!

Well I will post when I get back to let you all know how it went and hopefully it went well, I get back in one piece, alive and it will help all of you that are also stuck in this horrible nightmare!

Thank you all for your support and I will be back soon.

xx

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-21-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Removed censored word and replaced it with proper language. Ms_Mod

Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
(female)

mellyuk HB User
Wink Re: Oh My God< I Have Booked A Holiday, Panick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all

Well I did it, flew, had a great holiday and flew back, I am on usch a high right now.

Going out was a morning flight (I was tired) and I took 8mg of diazipam and slept all the way, woke up jus before landing.

I had such a chilled holiday, sun bathing, eating and I even had a bit to drink, my friend said she had never seen me so relaxed.

Coming back, I didn't sleep, the take off and first 1hr was soooooooo rough, I was having a major anxiety attack for an hour. I sat froze with my jumper over my head and mp3 player on full blast. For the last 45 minutes I calmed down a bit, but then went on a high and talked the arse of the poor woman sitting next to me. No doubt she could hear my Louise hay relaxation tape and noticed I sat shaking with a jumper over my head, she probably thought "NUTTER"!

I was thinking during that first hour, I am never going to do this again, but after a afternoon of reflextion I think I will, I have too.

Thanks you all for your helpful, calming words and I hope my little adventure gives you hope. I am determind that if I keep pushing myself into my fears I will cure myself. Lets hope we all can.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Well done Melly !!

thats really good to hear you went and had a great time.

I do the same, i will fly although i hate it, but my theory is if i want some much needed sunshine on my back, and to see other countries i have to fly, so i do it and usually suffer but almost always am glad when ive done it.

Well done !!

Closed Thread