It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

Gigi HB User
Help!!!

hey guys....i have always been a worrier, but lately it has gotten worse! i am constantly worrying about everything...from something bad happening to if my mom is happy (she lives with my bro and sister in law).....

my mom is veeeeery happy and so is my sister in law..but lately ( i think its cuz im sooo bored) ive been hanging on every word they say....if they complaini the LEAST about anything i think they are not happy, they fight alot, there is tension, etc....and it is really taking a toll on me.....and i cant rest until i get an explanation of what they really meant when they said it....im driving them both crazy!!!

last week i was worried that my mole was melanoma, even though the doc said it was 100% not..and he turned out to be right....

why cant i just relax, and be a positive person.....I have an appt with a physchologist, but in the mean time, how do i just relaxxxxxxxxxxxx??

Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: Help!!!

Sounds like you are in the beginning stages of an obsessive compulsive disorder. Going to a psych is a great step. Many times, genetics/physiological factors/psychological traumas create these disorders, so treatment is a great option. Meds will do wonders, along with the other mainstay options; therapy (if needed), exercise, eating healthy.

I think a few things you may want to consider are reading a few books on generalized anxiety disorders. See if you fit the OCD profile. There are online tests you can take to see if you fall into that category.

Also, relaxation exercises are helpful. You would not believe how comforting it can be to learn how to breathe. It, of course, leads to relaxation. And you can do both of those until you get in to see your doctor (which takes forever sometimes).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

Gigi HB User

thanks for your reply...do you think that seeing a psychologist as opposed to a pyschiatrist is better? im afraid to go to a psychatrist and him giving me medicine right off the bat...i want to see if i can beat this without meds...

what do you think?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

The problem with absconding from meds is that there is a probability that the genesis of your problem is physiological. Although therapy rewires the brain where there is trauma, it is a slow process. And it may not help if the problem is mainly physiological (like chemical imbalances or what have you).

I was an anti-meds person my entire life, until I developed panic disorder. Way before that, I had Graves' disease and mitral valve prolapse. I refused to take pills to decrease my thyroid activity. And I was dx'd. Eventually, it all blew up in my face, causing a thyroid storm, which put me in the ER, and later on, a severe panic disorder.

I even tried curing the panic by going to an endocrinologist, adjusting my thyroid levels, thinking it was completely hormonal. It did not. Not until I was treated by a psychiatrist for panic disorder did my symptoms subside. Therapy (and relaxation and exercise and all that other jazz) is great, but only in addition to the meds IMO.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor, which is why they can prescribe meds and many have internal medicine experience. They approach your disorder from a physiological perspective.

A psychologist only holds a doctorate in their field and are licensed to practice psychotherapy. They are not medical doctors. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but from what I understand, many cannot prescribe meds (depends on country, I believe).

The difference is a psychiatrist won't spend a great deal of time with you, but they approach your disorder from a physiological perspective while psychologists approach it from a mental disorder perspective. What's that mean? I dunno.

But keep in mind, just because you go to the psychiatrist and they provide you with meds, you do not have to take them. You could keep them as a 'fail-safe' if you decide to go the psychologist route and you're finding nothing is really changing. Plus, the psychiatrist can dx your disorder and recommend the best course of action to take in regards to therapy (remember, there's CBT, EMDR, hypnotherapy, exposure therapy, yada yada). I'm not sure if a psychologist can do that, but if they can, they cannot order medical tests to be done and dx you from that (which a psych might).

Personally, if it's affordable, I would go to the psychiatrist first, get their diagnosis, then find a therapist. A specialty therapist will probably be cheaper than a psychologist. You can always hold off on the pills until you need them. Or take 'em in small quantities. Compromise is good.

If you decide to go to the psychologist, please let us know of your experience. For my knowledge of them is completely theoretical.

Good luck.

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 08-05-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread