It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

mp509 HB User
Why is it that anxiety can sneak up on you?

The other day I had a dentist appointment. I was feeling really good. The only thing I was having done was a crown put on. 15 minutes tops, no shots. About half way to the dentist office I started to get a head ache. All of a suddent I was sick to my stomach, and I wanted to throw up. My neck and shoulders started hurting. I waited a few minutes before being called in and calmed down some. When I got into the dentist chair my stomach settled down, but the head ache and tense neck and shoulders was still present. I made it ok through the appointment, but when I got back to my car I started crying. I do not know why I was crying. After about a minute I stopped, but my whole body felt funny and I had to go home and lay down for a couple of hours. I have had attacks of anxiety going to the doctor and take anxiety meds before going on appointments. (This just started last year) But have never had this happen at the dentist office. I don't understand how this could sneak up on me like this. What gives? I have never had issues with the dentist. I am confused as why this happened. I feel like I am losing control. What's next getting upset when I go to get my hair done? I don't understand how or why a person can lose control of their body. Does anyone understand why?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

hopeful777 HB User
Re: Why is it that anxiety can sneak up on you?

dear mp509 I read your note and I wanted you to know that the same things happen to me. Sometimes I have anxiety of just going in a store...Im 26/female, I was diagnosed along time ago with anxiety but recently it had gotten worse. MY shoulders start hurting too, and I begin having anxiety attacks when I dont even feel nervouse, or upset. Something that sometimes helps me is long baths, or sometimes even cleaning helps. Try something that will get your mind off of it, like next time when your in your car going to the dentist if you feel nervouse or anxiouse turn on the radio, put on a song that you really enjoy, turn it up and sing at the top of your lungs!! It has worked for me! I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

korgiee HB User

Can I ask how old you are??? This is how it was for me. In fact the last two weeks I have felt the best I have ever felt. This morning woke up feeling not great next thing I knew by this afternoon I had full blown anxiety throughout my body. I had to take something. Just out of nowhere. Although I am 51, I do believe mine has to do with hormones. But yes this is what frustrates me so much is that i can be feeling good and bam, my system goes whacko. I have had anxiety for 30 years so I am experienced with this. I can't say much has changes except that I can now recognize it and I don't panic anymore. alyce

Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I am 28 and have had anxiety for 6 years. I hits me out of nowhere. I can be fine one day and be in a panic the next. You need to try to stop negative thinking and replace it with positives. negative thoughts are what fuels anxiety. You get into a downward spiral and are soon out of control. Xanax helps me as well as talking to my husband. I also try positive self talk. You just need to say to yourself.

"It is just a doctors appointment, they are here to help me"
"This is not going to hurt me or kill me"
"These bad feelings will pass soon"
"It has happened before and it will pass"
'I just need to breath slowly and relax"

I know it is very hard to do. You just feel like it will never go away, but it will. You just have to make yourself think positive. I has helped me.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

mp509 HB User

Hi I am 55 and have been having issues with only doctor appointments for one year. It is nice to hear that I am not NUTS and that the same thing happens to others. Thanks for your suppor and comments, I will try all of the suggestions. If one of them doesn't work maybe another one will. MP

Closed Thread