It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
(male)

ers26 HB User
Episodes of dizziness and digestive problems... GP thinks this could be Anxiety?

Hi All,

I've been feeling terrible off and on since the beginning of the year and it is starting to really worry me.

I've had 5 episodes over the past 7 months where I feel absolutely terrible. These episodes usually last a few days to a week and the symptoms are always the same, but the intensity of the symptoms vary.

Dizziness
Stomach Cramps
Diarrhea
Nausea
Fatigue

It always starts out the same and at this point, I know when an episode is about to happen...

I start feeling a little dizzy, not like I am going to pass out but unstable, sort of like being slightly intoxicated. After the dizziness starts, my stomach starts acting up, noisy and gassy. The next morning I wake up feeling terrible. The dizziness intensifies and gets worse when I move my head. Nausea and Diarrhea set in and the intensity of each of these varies.

By the second day, the Diarrhea is usually gone or subsiding. What remains over the next couple of days is the Dizziness and upset stomach. (Not much of an appetite at all during this time). I usually end up spending a couple of days in bed because of the dizziness. If I feel well enough, I will work from home, but I usually end up having to take at least 1 sick day. By the end of the episode, the dizziness goes away and I start to feel well again.

I've seen my GP a couple of times regarding this. At first he thought it was some sort of stomach virus, then he thought I might be having an intolerance to something I ate, so I started a food log to keep track of what I was eating and cut dairy out of my diet.

My last episode began on Tuesday evening and nothing that I've eaten points to a food intolerance. It is now Monday afternoon and I am still not quite right, I am still experiencing dizziness but not to severe, and my stomach still isn't back to normal.

I went to see my GP this morning for blood tests to rule out any serious illness, I should get those results in a couple of days. During the consultation with my doctor, he said he thinks that I may be suffering from anxiety, and he prescribed Klonopin. He wants me to try the drug for a month and then come in for another visit.

I am having a hard time accepting the fact that these 'episodes' I have been experiencing are being caused by anxiety. If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
(male)

dallen4 HB User
Re: Episodes of dizziness and digestive problems... GP thinks this could be Anxiety?

You kinda sound like me...For the past 11 months I have had episodes of all the symptoms you listed. I've been through about every test you can thin k of including heart tests, CAT scans, and a whole bunch of other crap. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, Crohn's, and POTS syndrome. I use a CPAP machine to sleep at night(for the sleep apnea) which has made me feel "better" when I wake up. A week ago I started using 2 different anxiety medicines..which aren't strong but they seem to help too....but not that much. I haven't had the true test for Crohn's yet(August 22nd) but I'm sure that has somthing to do with all of it. My doc said that all the problems I'm having...feeling sick or having bad episodes are giving me anxiety. I'm guessing maybe you have POTS syndrome. I don't know a lot about it, but I know I have it and from what I read about it, it affects all your body systems. Like I said, I'm only guessing but your symptoms sounds way too familiar. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doc about it and the meds I take do help me feel a little better. Your doc may think its all anxiety, but like my doctor said...I was getting anxiety from feeling like crap. Did he give you any meds?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
(male)

ers26 HB User
Re: Episodes of dizziness and digestive problems... GP thinks this could be Anxiety?

Yes, he gave me a prescription for Klonopin. (0.5mg - Take 1 tablet twice daily as needed for nerves).

Also, I received a call from the doctors office this afternoon with my blood test results. The good news is everything is normal. The bad news is I still don't know what is causing these illness episodes. I guess I will try the meds and see if they help me.

Ed

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-07-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

I have that when I start a panic attack. Mine can last anywhere from a few minutes (it hits hard, I used the wash room, and then it goes away) to a week. You may have a bowel disorder that is aggravated when you have an anxiety attack. Anxiety tends to cause cramping (as all your muscles contract) so it can lead to some nasty stomach reactions.

Closed Thread