It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
Question Is Low Dose Xanax OK w/Light Alcohol Use? Doc says Yes...

Hi everyone,

I am on a maximum of 1 mg per day Xanax which I divide up. I take .25 mg in the early afternoon, .25 mg in the evening when things get more stressful and .5 mg before bed. This seems to work well for my anxiety and insomnia. (I take Celexa in the morning). The Xanax really helps my symptoms and the doc seems to want me on it indefinitely for my anxiety disorder.

I asked my doc if it was OK if I drank a glass or two of red wine (or a glass or two of beer) in the evenings and he said it would be fine. He just said not to drink too much or get drunk or anything.

However, I wonder if he is wrong? I've heard bad things about Xanax and alcohol. What are the real risks for someone taking the dose that I take who wants to have two servings of alcohol in the evenings? I do enjoy a leisurely drink and I have read it is healthy for the heart. I just don't want to cause damage.

For example, someone told me that drinking and taking pills at the same time can cause an aneurysm...is this true?

Or, that drinking with Xanax can kill you by depressing your respiration and nervous system.

But does this happen with such a small amount? Advice, please!

Thanks,
Angela

Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: Is Low Dose Xanax OK w/Light Alcohol Use? Doc says Yes...

<--- NOT a medical professional! lol

I'm on Zoloft and from how I understand it (from my psychiatrist MIL and nurse friends) that the problem with drinking while on these medications lays in two place.

1) The liver, where they are metabolized. You can do some serious damage with alcohol alone, but then when you mix it with drugs that can do damage by themselves, you have a serious issue.

2) Alcohol increases the potency of the medications. So, I take 50 mg of Zoloft. If I binge drink, I could feel as if I doubled or even tripled my dose - leading a major come down from the effect. It can make you ever more depressed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

mandy26 HB User

Many years ago, [IRRESPONSIBLY] combining xanax (1mg doses several times per day, I believe) w/ alcohol would often make me black out. Eventually, it landed me in the hospital. In excess, the combo can definitely suppress the respiratory + nervous system, as I learned the hard way.

Your doses are smaller than mine were, and I'd venture to say you're being more responsible than I was then--posting here asking questions, talking to doc, etc! My only advice, if you choose to try it, would be to limit yourself to one drink only. Monitor your body very closely during and after the drink to see how you feel. And I believe benzos multiply the potency of alcohol more than most SSRIs. I could not endorse mixing xanax and alcohol in any amounts, but of course, the choice is yours. Whatever you do, just please be careful!

Last edited by mandy26; 08-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
(male)

edz61 HB User

My personal experience with Xanax or Ativan with a glass or two of alcholic beverages has been okay. If I drink I usually will do it and end it at least 2 hours before bed time when I take my Xanax and/or Ativan. It seem to work fine for me.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
(female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

A friend of mine said she would sometimes take her Xanax earlier in the day and have a drink at night rather than doing the two close together.

However, I think I am too scared to try it so until I get my anxiety under control and wean off this stuff I guess I'm a teetotaler.

Closed Thread