It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

lilan HB User
anxiety

At the beginning of the summer I went to the emergency room because i couldn't breathe, my heart was beating extremely fast, my hands were numb and all in all it was just a very scary feeling. The doctor said that everything was fine and i was perfectly healthy and that i was having an anxiety attack. I was fine after that for about a month, then recently I got a virus that made me lose my appetite and this scared me. Ever since then (which was the weekend before the 4th of July) my anxiety has gone through the roof. I went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago because it was getting so bad to the point where i didnt want to work or hang out with my friends, i only felt comfortable at home on my couch. The doctor put me on lexapro but i didnt like the idea of having a drug in my system so a week later i stopped taking it. I was starting to feel better this weekend and I was keeping my mind off of negative things. I had a great weekend and then this week when i got home alone again it all started to come back. Its weird though, I think its all in my head. My legs and arms feel weak a lot of the times but that was the only symptom left of my anxiety, until today.. I was home alone and of course my mind started going again. I started thinking negative things and then those negative things happen. It has to all be in my head. Did anyone else have this problem with anxiety? How did you keep your mind from off of all of that stuff? Is this something I can shake on my own? Help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: anxiety

Well, you're right. The anxiety is all in your head. Proximity is correct, but reasoning for treatment might not be.

Anxiety is caused by physiological disturbances in the brain (chemical imbalances, genetics, etc) and by traumatic episodes that rewire your brain to process information abnormally.

If your heart starts to beat irregularly, you wouldn't say, 'Oh, it's just in my heart,' then try to ignore it. Hopefully, you'd go to a cardiologist and find out the physiological reason why you are ill. Why is the brain any different?

The way you 'keep your mind off all this stuff' is by getting treatment and sticking with it. Lexapro is not addictive. Yes, it has side effects, but they subside over time. Why not give it a shot before you dismiss it? It takes several weeks for it to 'kick in.' If it doesn't help you any by that time, then find another path of treatment.

I think I speak for many sufferers of anxiety when I say that if you just try to ignore it, it will only get worse.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Shakes

Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I have experienced the exact same thing as you. 6 years ago I started feeling funny one day. I was very nervous and felt like I wanted to just jump out of my skin. I called the doctor cause I thought I was sick. He told me I had anxiety, but he did some blood tests and found that I had CMV virus. It is like mono. He wanted me to take zoloft and xanax for my anxiety and i was afraid. I couldn't sleep or eat. I was throwing up and having severe panic attacks. I was horrible. I was afraid to leave my house. I was afraid to be alone. I couldn't even talk to my friends on the phone. Finally after a few weeks I realized that it was the anxiety that was really making me sick. It was causing me to become depressed as well. I started taking the zoloft and after a few more weeks I was better. It took al least 3 months for me to be back to my old self again.

I never thought I could have anxiety and I am so glad I decided to trust in taking medication. Anxiety is something that you cannot control. It is a chemical imbalance that can only me controled with medication.

You should really listen to your doctor and stay on meds. Believe me you will be so happy you did. I have been on meds on and off for 6 years and everytime I have tried to stop taking them The anxiety always comes back.
It takes over my life and I will not let that happen anymore. I am even going to stay on meds when I become pregnant.

Don't be scared of the medication. I can only help you and make you feel better.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hello Lilan,
I agree with the previous posts on the necessity of medication and the need for you to persevere because they take time to have their full effect.
I have had all those feelings you describe and worse. What has personally helped me was the combination of the correct medication( which I have arrived at with the help of my doctor after trial and error) and persistent, long term therapy.
Medication helps with the symptoms but therapy tries to find the cause and help you treat it by recognizing it and de- powering it yourself slowly and systematically.
I agree that you should not leave yourself untreated. Unfortunately I have only known a person with serious anxiety attacks who insists on not taking medicine for them. He survives but with a lot of difficulty. Personally I am in favour of the easy route: Medication and therapy. As a proof that these work, I must tell you that after four years of severe panic attacks, I have now managed to get off most of my medication and made a lot of progress during therapy sessions. So THERE IS HOPE. You only need patience and faith in yourself that this can be minimized and eventually overcome.
You CAN REALLY GET BETTER. TRUST ME.
Good luck and God bless!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I went to therapy as well and I learned a lot about my anxiety and how it affects me. It has made it a little easier to live with. Once my medication started working I didn't need to go anymore.

Closed Thread