It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
(male)

steve2341 HB User
problem with shaking hands

hi you good people
this is my 1st post on here and i would really like your advice on my problem.
i suffer from mild anxiety on a daily basis,but and its a big but,i have a big problem dealing with authoritive people,now i can handle talking to them with my pounding heart and tightening chest,that i can get through,the part i really struggle with is my shaking hands especially when it comes to something simple as signing my name or filling in a form in front of people,i have walked away on more than one occation,i have never felt embarrassment like it.
anyway i have a interview with an immigration officer in a month or so and i can not walk away from this one,it is that important,three or four simple questions then the signature,sounds easy but as you people on here know it is far from easy.
looking for advice from anyone with similar problems and advice on quick acting meds that will stop the shaking and get me through it.
at present i am on 40mg propranolol 3 times daily,just need something strong and quick acting for the one day.
thanks
steve

Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: problem with shaking hands

Hi Steve!
Facing the immigration officer is a job and a half by itself, no wonder your hands are shaking!. It seems that the best course of action would be to talk first to the doc who gave you the other medication. If you could explain the situation he could perhaps give you something to calm you down rather than slow you down and make you sleepy.
On the other hand, you could also try some self help remedies like we all do when taking exams. For example, take a cold shower before the interview, try to do something pleasant the night before, pray, or go for a walk, don't take alchohol and do not stay up late , or listen to relaxing music just before you see him etc.
Also try to think of the worst possible senario and devise alternative options. This should help you control the situation and handle it better.
Good luck and God bless !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

Andrea84 HB User
Re: problem with shaking hands

Definitely talk to the doctor to give you something to calm you down a little more so you will feel better but even if your hands shake a little look at it another way - the immigration officer will either feel flattered that you're in awe of him or think you have a simple tremor as many people do. He's seen other people's hands shake, I am sure. Remember most people are thinking about themselves not about you. All the best.

Closed Thread