It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
(male)

wego HB User
Inderal (propranolol) withdrawal – help!

Hello!

This is my second post here - the first was an answer on other subject.

I am having unbearable withdrawal symptoms from Inderal - extreme anxiety, unbearable abdominal cramps, hot flashes, dizziness, confusion… I am on about 50mg daily (now divided in 4 doses) for 3 months, but every attempt to reduce it by a tiny amount is followed by hell. I’m also on some herbal stuff: Ginkgo, St. John’s Wort, Valerian, hops. My questions:
- Has anyone had something similar? What to do?
- Would Phenergan help me? Is it totally safe?

For more details, see my following post. Thank you in advance for any help.
Bob

Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
(male)

wego HB User
Re: Inderal (propranolol) withdrawal – help!

(This post complements my previous one on Inderal withdrawal)

9 month ago I was very bad weaning off Risperdal and Mirtazapine, mainly anxiety attacks every wake-up and severe abdominal pains. My new doc (psychiatrist) diagnosed anxiety, denied any withdrawal symptoms, and prescribed Inderal (3 x 40mg daily).

At the same time he suggested me to take high doses of Phenergan to help the withdrawal or Risperdal and it worked wonderfully. I had some relief with Inderal, but after a few weeks he told me to advance the night Inderal dose to the afternoon, and I simply just couldn’t. Every time I tried I had very hard symptoms next day – stronger anxiety attacks and cramps and dizziness and headaches… He said that was only anxiety, no side effects, not withdrawal connected.

I decided to taper off Inderal and he agreed, but I tried 3 times without success. I finally fired him for not believing in any strong withdrawal symptoms for any medicine. After weaning off completely mirtazapine, I decided to taper Inderal. I have been all this time under supervision of my GP, who finally believes withdrawals can be so severe.

I have been weaning off a lot of stuff the last 2 years – Efexor finished 2.5 years ago, Klonopin 2 years ago, Risperdal 7 months ago, Mirtazapine 1.5 months ago. Everything has been done carefully, but painfully.

The anxiety attacks and cramps started slowly when tapering Klonopin, increased with Risperdal and became very strong with Inderal.

Thanks.
Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread