It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

Lightlife HB User
Prozac question

Does anyone feel REALLY tired taking Prozac 20mg a day?

I.m on day 18 now and i really dont know if its doing anything. Should i be noticing anything? i do notice i yawn more and feel more tired. But it hasnt really conquered my shortness of breath episodes. Any one have any more info please?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
(male)

AltParadox HB User
Re: Prozac question

I recently (10 days?) started taking 20 mg Prozac as well. It's actually interesting because it does make me feel more tired, but sometimes I feel bursts of energy. But it has definitley made me feel more tired.
I did read that this could happen in the begining untill your body gets used to it.
Bear in mind that it can take up to a month to begin feeling the benefits from Prozac.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

Lightlife HB User

Yeah AltP,

ive heard conflicting stories. Even seeing 2 Docs in my surgery they both said diff times. one said 10 days and other 6 weeks !! work that one out!!

i think i do feel a little happier, although Doctor didnt put me on it because i was depressed. It was to calm down these short of breath episodes, which as of yet they havent really got rid of, maybe they wont.

im not really sure how i feel on it as of yet, except the tiredness. Im really pinning my hopes on Prozac getting rid of my problem. My CBT therapist says it will only mask the problem and i have to learn not to be afraid of these episodes and learn how to cope with them.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Everyone reacts differentluy to meds. It could make someone feel better in 8 days others it is 8 weeks. Give it some time and hang in there.

Your doctor may be right in her opinion but some of us need the extra help with medication to get us focused on how to deal. Medication doesn't get rid of anxiety all together. That is why it is wise to continue to get therapy while on meds.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Yes,I was on Prozac for almost 5 years,and was tired
all the time,had to be motivated to do almost everything.
I never realized it was the medicine,assumed it was another
medicine I am on.But,now that I am off of it and on a different
med. I am no longer tired,I had to take daily naps.More energy
now also.

Good luck,Sherri

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
(female)

Lightlife HB User

Today i feel...

Really tired, headache which may not be related to the Prozac at all. But i feel a little dreamy, sort of slow and out of it a bit. Is that usual? I'm sure everyone is different. Just dont really know what to expect as i have never taken an anti depressant before. I feel a bit low in my mood too

Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
(male)

AltParadox HB User

I have been feeling less tired the past few days. I'm starting to think the reason i was initially tired was NOT due to the meds. lol.
Hope things get better for you too.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
(female)

Lightlife HB User

How long have you been taking Prozac Alt?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
(male)

AltParadox HB User

A little over two weeks.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
(female)

ymar842a HB User

Lightlife,

I have been taking Prosac for almost a month now and definatley feel it working on my moods, Im less stressed, and little things dont bother me at all. I actually have more energy, probably cause Im not using energy on stressing about little things anymore! This is the 2nd time I tried antidepressants . The first time was about a year ago, my mom had a stroke and I had alot of responsibiltys as far as taking care of her and felt overwhelmed, and started getting anxiety in the form of headaches and lump in throat feeling. I was put on Lexapro, and was very tired the first 3 weeks or so, it really helped me though, i took it for about 3 months but had a really hard time going off of it. I had extreme dizziness and nausea, and felt flulike,that is why I opted for something not so strong this time, but it has not worked on my shortness of breath. I am getting a upper gi tomorrow as my dr thinks it is directly related acid reflux.. I also had my hormones tested through saliva testing, and it shows no projesterone, and low thyroid, so i will be starting meds for this, Hopefully the shortness of breath will go away too...

Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
(female)

Lightlife HB User

My anxiety is strange.

I dont show any other signs of a panic attack except ONLY shortness of breath. Thats the strange thing i think.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
(female)

yvonne33 HB User

Me too! Thats why my dr thinks its not anxiety. Also the fact the prosac isnt working is also an indication that its probably not anxiety.. I think were just so used to drs blaming everything on anxiety , that we start to believe them...

Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #13
(female)

Lightlife HB User

Well if it isnt anxiety, what on earth can it be then?

My therapist says she thinks its a mind thought or trigger. Whatever it is, i NEED to go SOON !

I hate living with the anticipation of another attack being imminent. I have to take my family up the road to a train station later, i am already worrying im going to have an attack driving there, and im not even in the car yet !! the car is one of my worst triggers.

I'm really fed up with this now, its on a daily basis. I,m seeing my Doc on thursday as my firstmonths pills are running out, and im not sure they are working or not really. I suppose i should give them more time i guess

Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
(female)

Lightlife HB User

Just following up ast post really..

I just had a bad day, dropped off family attempted to go shopping turned back and when driving home thought NO however bad i feel i wont run home.

Went shopping, sighed and tried to feed my air hunger all way round, but i did it and was pleased i didnt give in. But since and most of the day havve had short of breath attacks constantly.
Surely if this was a panic atack it would go, this is pretty much constant today. Maybe i need to up my prozac from 20mg a day (

Closed Thread