It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

redgirl79 HB User
Unhappy BuSpar and weight gain--please help

I began taking Lexapro 2 years ago and after gradually reducing my dosage (due to the Lexapro not working anymore), my Dr. and I decided that my anxiety was really the main issue to address. He prescribed BuSpar about three and a half weeks ago. Besides slight dizziness, I did not experience any other real side effects--until the second week. I stepped on the scale and noticed that I had gained 3 pounds. No big deal. I decided to keep a food journal (even documenting the donut I had one morning--no lies) on top of my morning runs. I got on the scale this morning and have gained another 2 pounds. Five pounds in 3 weeks. I am not very tall, so although this may not seem like a lot of weight, on my frame it is. I e-mailed my Dr. and attached my food journal. He replied that BuSpar is not known to cause weight gain, and to keep running. That's all he said!
My question is, is this normal? Is this an initial effect and then levels out eventually? The BuSpar seems to be helping my anxiety and repetitive thoughts, but the weight gain is starting to worry me and cancel out the good effects. I am also starting to become overly conscious of what I am eating---and today I have only eaten an apple because I am really concerned about putting on more weight. Has anyone else had this happen? Please help!

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: BuSpar and weight gain--please help

This could all be water weight. And stress doesn't help any. Not eating will make it worse - it will slow your metabolic rate.

Give this some time - if you are doing well on your medication then try to stick it out.

I personally gain weight on any pill I take. Not everyone is like that.

I would weigh yourself once a week. Not everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

redgirl79 HB User

Thanks! I appreciate your reply. I know that starving myself is not the answer. I have gotten so frustrated! It could be water weight---I will wait things out. Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I have been on buspar for 3 years and have not seen any weight gain as a side effect. Eat well and exercise and use it if it works for you. Godbless

Closed Thread