It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

kerry78 HB User
Is it anxiety or something else? HELP!!!!

Hi everybody! It was so good to find these boards. I have been suffering from air hunger off and on for many years, I think. It has been horribly relentless for the last 9 or 10 months. When I wake up , it starts. Sometimes I have it at night in bed, but mostly during the day.

It got so bad last December, that I quit smoking! I am 46 and had smoked for almost 30 years, with no real intention of quitting. My breathing got sooo bad, that I just quit cold turkey. I also suffer the yawning and sighing to get that satisfying breath, but it never lasts. I have to keep doing it over and over. I had a chest x-ray and EKG August 2006, for chest pain due to rib muscle strain. This was to rule out heart problems. It was fine. I also was having acid reflux real bad from taking Advil for the chest pain. At that time, my breathing wasn't an issue. Could this be because I was focusing on the chest pain? lol Anyway, when the breathing got real bad, I had a pulmonary function test. This was Jan. 4 2007 (I had only quit smoking 18 days before.)It wasn't too bad, considering I had smoked all those years. They say I have mild obstruction at small airways. My RV was 26, and normal is 25 or less. They also felt that I have an upper airway obstruction.

I was sent to an ENT in early Feb. He says that I have nasal allergies, and post nasal drip. I'm supposed to use my Flonase nasal spray, but I used it for months without a real big change. I am just using saline now. He didn't see any tumors or anything when he looked up my nose and down my throat with the nose camera. He wanted to give it some more time off of cigarettes, before thinking about any more prescriptions. Well, since it will be 8 months this friday, I am discouraged that I still feel this way. My nose feels real dry and swollen inside, all the time. This is new since I quit smoking. It used to run more when I smoked. I'm sorry for being so long-winded, but I want to tell you guys all the symptoms I can think of.

I get out of breath in the shower, and when talking or eating. It is basically true all the time, except for some rare times in between, when I don't feel that bad. During these times, I can talk and breathe ok. When I'm eating, it seems like it's almost always an issue. As I'm actually in the process. I used to sing all the time around the house, but I have to stop to breathe.I also seem to see a correlation between the problems and my salt intake. It got this bad last summer( 2006) I wonder if the fact that my daughter was starting high school, and my son, middle school, had anything to do with it.I was very afraid for my daughter mostly, because she has always had a horrible time with the other girls.Anyway, I have tried deep breathing, Paxil, research, and I don't know what to do.I am not on medicine, now, but I rely on Chamomile tea.It helps to calm me some. It's funny that I feel this breathing thing even when I don't feel stressed. I will appreciate any feedback I can get. My heart goes out to all of you, because I too am ruled by this awful affliction. Take care Kerry78

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User
Re: Is it anxiety or something else? HELP!!!!

Hi Kerry, I can relate to your air hunger issues, I think you are dwelling on your breathing way too much because I do the same and have been through the works with x-rays, ekg's,self help,CBT ect.. On my good days or rather when my anxiety level is low I'm fine as far as breathing and never think about it,my wife even gets on me for talking for hours on the phone with friends but on my bad anxious days I tend to focus on almost every breath,I take Klonopin for anxiety as needed and it really helps but I found that if I go for a long walk I feel 100% better, my breathing,my anxiety and my mood is much better

Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
(female)

pretty2121 HB User

i suffer from the same with my breathing im always yawning to get my breath. mine falls down to anxiety, i get like this mostly at night.the best thing to do is some relaxation classes that should help.

Last edited by pretty2121; 08-16-2007 at 12:46 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
(female)

kerry78 HB User

Hi thanks for answering me! I do think most of it could be anxiety, but I do have the really dried out congested nose, too. I do walk, but most times my breathing is the same. I went to Canobie Lake Park with my kids one night last week, and there is major walking involved. I really didn't feel as bad as I usually do though. Funny, huh? It was also a nice cool night, low humidity. I will keep plugging on. lol Take care. Kerry78

Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
(female)

kerry78 HB User

Hi! thanks for answering me. I do feel that anxiety plays a big role, but maybe not always. I feel like this even when I'm semi (lol) relaxed. However, not all the time, like I said. I don't know. It's really weird. Did you feel like that when you were eating and talking etc.? I appreciate the feedback. Take care, Kerry78

Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Hyper79...

I have the same symptoms as Kerry, [anxiety causing it] and I too find a good long walk seems to ease up things ...a lot, for me as well. Sometimes when I'm having this horrible anxiety I ask my husband to please take me for a good fast long walk [at night, and at least 2 miles, sometimes 3],....and it also reassures me that I DON'T have a deadly lung disease!

Kerry...I had that same problem with my nose, [mucous membranes] for a long time...like 18 months, at least....and it was when my thyroid levels were really bad, [not to say yours are].... but when I went to see my GP about it, [finally], she gave me some Naseral...it's like a steroidal nasal spray....so I didn't want to use it much....but it turned out that I didn't need to...after using it only about 2 x a day [for only a few days], my nasal problems cleared up!! I could finally breathe through my nose again!! It felt like there was a brick wall in there before that. After that, I only had to use it once in a great while. It worked well. Please ask your Dr. for some good spray for that nose...there's no reason you should have to go around miserable like that.

Good luck...
Deda

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-17-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Hi Deda, sounds like a connection,I to have really bad sinus problems and had extensive surgery in 04 to correct it,I flush my nose daily or try to and it helps alot.I noticed you brought up the thyroid, many moons ago about 15 to be exact I was fatigued, short of breath,insomnia, had recurring palpitations and tachycardia "fast heartrate" pretty much as I am today.At that time my doctor did ekg's, stress test,x-rays and bloodwork and all come back normal except my thyroid's TSH level ,it was low but my T4-T3 was normal, I have had it checked many times over this 15 year span and have seen 3 endocrinologist, one said I had Graves disease "hyperthyroidism" and that I needed to treat it and the other 2 said I was fine. A while back I had my nose in a book I cant remember the name but it spoke of stress levels and the effects it had on the thyroid, maybe there is a connection there because my thyroid numbers jump around from normal to subnormal all the time.I smoke and really need to quit but for a peice of mind had any lung and heart issues ruled out several times but I do have a set date to quit the habit.I think walking really helps burn off the build up of nervouse energy and stress and as you mentioned to reassure our self that we made it and we are ok.Kerry I was busy yesterday and didnt have a chance to reply but yes talking, walking, singing and even watching tv I felt I could not breathe but by accident several months back, now remember I'm a tinker bug or rather love to fix things, anyway I was anxious and had my breathing worries and a buddy brought his 2 4 wheelers over for brake repairs,I almost told him no because of how I felt but accepted the job and done it along with full tune ups on both, when I finished and he arrived to pick them up, another truck c pulled in behind him with 2 more atv's for repair,I'll say I was pleased to do all them,my anxiety was low,my breathing was fine and made some much needed $$$ ,so I try to keep occupied as much as possible in things that interest me.Sorry I didnt mean to write a book. LOL

Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

kerry78 HB User

Thank you so much, Hyper79 and Deda! I was just feeling very low tonight because my breathing has been real bad today. It felt so good to hear from you both. My kids and I went to Walmart Super Center tonight. I don't know why I go there, it ends up stressing me out. lol My kids are terrific,but my son can be a real clown. I could feel my breathing getting worse when he was clowning in the toy dept., getting a whole bunch of ANNOYING,GIGGLING ELMOS to sound off at the same time.I wouldn't wish that whiny giggly noise on my worst enemy lol Then, some lady tried to run us over, on purpose, in the parking lot! I felt very upset because I couldn't run after her to get her plate # Oh well, just my average trip to the"discount giant" lol lol

I am probably going to go back to the ENT soon, and I will see what's up with my nose. I think the Flonase helped at first, but like you, Deda, I don't like putting steroids up my noise. I'm afraid it will get big and buff. Ha ha Seriously though, I have been told by my chiropractor, that food allergies can cause the breathing problems too. Thyroid problems do run in my family too, so that's a consideration also. I did have it checked last summer and it was fine, but like you said, Hyper, I think stress can throw our WHOLE bodies off!

Thank you both for taking time to talk to me. I will write soon. Hang in there.Kerry78

Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Hi kerry, I call it the super anxiety center "lol" , I try to avoid those places on my bad days because It makes me feel much worse after I leave but on my better days I will go and feel great that I did it, sounds crazy but that's me? I know how you feel with kids,I have a 6 year old and I'm one for going to get what I came for and get out at the shortest line but somehow the toy isle is always close to what I need and my little girl has gotta go and check out everything,in no hurry I might add,by that time I'm in bad shape,kinda funny.I think allergies do play a big part on breathing,for me it does especially around here this year, the dust is bad because of the lack of rain and 100+ temps everyday.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
(female)

kerry78 HB User

Hi Hyper! That was funny about the "Super anxiety center" lol How are you feeling? It has gotten cooler here for a few days, and that helps some. I know what you mean about dust! We live very close to the street, and it's a busy street, so we get tons of dust. It's a real nuisance. I am dusting impaired, so I'm sure that doesn't help me any. lol Well, take care and keep "tinkering" Kerry78

Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Hi Kerry, Good to hear from you, I've been so so or rather in the dumps the past few days and have done very little,just too much on my mind, could be worse though.I think our heat index is 102 today so it's still pretty darn hot.I live out in the country and there is a 100 acre cotton field across from us that dont help my allergies much, the rest around us is woods,so there is plenty of pollen in the spring and usually covers everything with a yellow dust.So how have you been?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
(female)

kerry78 HB User

Hey Hyper! I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling too well. That must be lousy having all that dust and all that heat, too. Do you use "SIMPLY SALINE"? It's a great product for rinsing and moisturizing the nasal passages and sinuses. It has NO preservatives in it, either. It's a good idea to rinse the pollen and dust out every day, a few times, if needed. I like it.

I came across a tip for the breathing problem, but only if its anxiety. I think most of mine is, but probably not all. I did smoke for almost 30 years. Well, it helps me, so maybe it will help you, too. The theory is that we can't get a deep breath in, because we're not getting all the air out. Sounds logical. lol When that feeling strikes, stop and breathe out as long as possible, counting to 10 or so, or whatever you can handle. We don't want anyone fainting or anything.This is VERY IMPORTANT! As you're breathing out, make your stomach GO IN! Push it in manually if its not used to going on its own. Then, take a nice deep breath in, making your stomach RISE this time. Do this a few times, and I think you'll see a difference. It has been helping me the last few days anyway. Good luck and let me know how you are. Take care, Kerry78

Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Hi Kerry, neat exercise I gave it a try,I'll admit it's different but it will take some practice especially the breathing out part.Breathing has been ok today so far but that's always subject to change.I use this electric device called the hydro pulse to do my flushes with salt water,it has helped alot with my sinus infections, if I dont use it I'm in trouble,I use the simply saline also,mine is in a aresol type can,It works good to especially on the go.I was using Yesterday was a good day,I tend to over do it on those days,I'm ok today just a bit tired but I need to get busy.Take care and thanks for the tip!! Hyper

Closed Thread