It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

leoball80 HB User
So confused about wellbutrin

I have been on paxil for nearly 2 weeks now and I feel nothing. I have no side effects and no relief from my anxiety/depression. I have been hearing how wellburtin can help with anxiety. then I have been hearing people strongly against wellbutrin saying "it caused me so much anxiety don't take it for anxiety!". Well, I have both depression AND anxiety. I wanted to ask for it because of the low risk of side effects but I am not sure if it will make me worse since I have anxiety and depression. So is it really BAD for anxiety?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User
Re: So confused about wellbutrin

Hi I can say from my personal experience with many different antidepressants,Wellbutrin sky rocketed my anxiety unlike any of the others and I to suffer from anxiety as well as depression.Although it did help my energy levels and lift my mood I couldnt bare the added anxiety and my appetite was very poor, which I dont need to loose any weight.My other option by my doc was to add a antianxiety med to counteract the anxiety but I decided to no longer take it.Like I said that's my experience but for some It may have helped there anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
(female)

Five_of_5 HB User

Hello:

I have extremely high anxiety & major depression. I started taking Wellbutrin last January along with Effexor & Lamictal, which I have been taking for two years. I had the Wellbutrin added because I also suffer from SAD in the fall & winter time. (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Wellbutrin has worked wonders for me. I was only suppose to take it temporarily until winter was over, but it has made me feel so much better the doctor left me on it permanently. I lost 10 pounds in the first month & I have more energy, but not jittery energy. I just feel more motivated to get out of bed & do more activities. Plus, things don't bother me as much & I worry less. I'm a huge worry wart.

All medications work different for everyone due to our brain chemicals being different. It sometimes can take time to find a medication that will work for you. It took me two years to find a great combination of meds. I'm sure it won't take you that long.

I would go ahead & try Wellbutrin. Remember you might feel sleepy or dizzy or any other array of side-effects the first week, but they are usually temporary. So give the drug time to work. You might not feel any side-effects, but if you do have really bad side-effects like fainting or vomiting then you should call your doctor.

Just don't let one person's bad experience on a drug convince you that the same thing will happen to you. It could happen but then again it might not.

One more thing. You haven't taken Paxil long enough for it to work. You should feel a difference by the fourth week. Most anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds take 3 to 4 weeks to notice a difference. Give Paxil some more time before trying something new. My sister takes Paxil & it works very well for her, but she does not suffer from depression.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Five_of_5; 08-15-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I need to add something.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
(female)

leoball80 HB User

I plan on taking paxil for another month just in case. It seems the only good stories I hear about wellbutrin and anxiety, are from people who have wellbutrin with another antidepressant. If I were to take it all by itself I wonder what would happen. But I have to give it more time.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-16-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
(male)

ergo4 HB User

Wellbutrin is the only thing that keeps me "sane" as it were. However, I do not believe Wellbutrin helps with anxiety which I have and lots of it. I've just been prescribed Zoloft in a very low dose. My psych doctor said to try and it and see if it curbs the anxiety. She indicated that Wellbutrin often increases anxiety.

I'm so anxious, that I'm anxious about my anxiety (if that makes sense). Today will be day 2 on very low dose of Zoloft. I hope I don't get any icky side effects.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

*Marley* HB User

I have been on Lexapro for about 2.5 months, and about a week ago my doc added Wellbutrin because Lexapro has not helped my depression enough. Lexapro is indicated for both anxiety and depression. I don't believe Wellbutrin is indicated for anxiety. I feel very jittery/anxious on the Wellbutrin, kind of like if I had way too much caffeine. I'm wondering if this is a symptom that will eventually go away. Anyway, I don't think you would go on Wellbutrin alone if you have anxiety.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoball80 View Post
I plan on taking paxil for another month just in case. It seems the only good stories I hear about wellbutrin and anxiety, are from people who have wellbutrin with another antidepressant. If I were to take it all by itself I wonder what would happen. But I have to give it more time.
Hi, the time I tried it Wellbutrin was the only med I was on and like I stated earlier I had increased anxiety but I did get a great deal of much needed energy and a big lift from my depression, for me it had a overstimulating effect I could not tolerate even at the 75mg dose which I'm sensitive to meds anyway.These meds effect everyone in a different way, you may do very well on it but you will have to try it to see.I have a aunt who is on it and has been for years and she said it worked wonders for her anxiety and depression but it does take Wellbutrin less time to work than most meds

Last edited by hyper79; 08-16-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
(female)

inkedflamingo HB User

I took Wellbutrin for about a month and a half and then quickly (and probably not smartly) weened myself off of it. Wellbutrin made me super anxious and highly tempermental. This was a huge bummer since I went on it because I have such a bad, unexplainable temper, as well as weird lows (now I know what the issue was-this was before I found out that I am probably BP).

The one good thing (for me) that I loved about Wellbutrin was the energy. It makes me sorta bummed to think that I probably will never have that energy again! I got so much done and went for daily walks and just felt good about how much I got done. However, I did always feel like my list of things to do was so long and a bit overwhelming. I just felt like taking on the world. Actually, the feeling was borderline "high."

So, that's how it was for me!

Closed Thread