It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
(male)

Soodle HB User
Physical symptoms the worst?

For me the physical symptoms are by far the worst part of this, and are what stops me going about my daily business (have been on and off work for 4 years). I do get depressed, and stressed but the constant physical symptoms e.g. chest/throat tightness, shortness of breath etc are the worst thing. When I take ativan the physical stuff lifts, and then so does my mood.
This makes me feel that it must be a physical problem, and not an anxiety one, despite what the doctors tell me.

Ativan seems to relax my muscles whereas valium only seems to space me out? Can anyone else identify with this?

Thanks for your help. Four years on and really fed up with feeling so ill.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Physical symptoms the worst?

Hello Soodle....

Did you mean to say that it must be an ANXIETY problem, and NOT a PHYSICAL problem, as when you do take the Ativan, [a sedative]... your physical symptoms then go away?? If your symptoms go away after you take Ativan, then I think that pretty much says that you do indeed have anxiety.

I have the same problems as you do, Soodles. I get a tight feeling in my chest, and most especially my diaphragm gets tight, [anyone else here with that?]... and I get VERY short of breath. This morning it was really bad, and I felt like I couldn't get any air in, hardly any! My diaphragm was sore feeling and tight, and I honestly felt like I was going to quit breathing, altogether.

Finally, I got up and took a Xanex...and within 30 min. I felt it subsiding, in 45minutes it was ALL gone! I hate to take this stuff but what else the heck am I supposed to do?? (I can not take any SSRI's or Tri-cyclic drugs)

This problem I've had for almost 3 years...I think I tend to focus on my lungs/chest, and every little breath I take, because both my mother and my brother passed away of a lung disease...and I'm so afraid.....thus I'm too [totally] focused on my every breath and every sensation that arises in my chest, diaphragm, etc.

I have noticed, [often] that most of the time, when I leave the house, [I don't work, due to some other health issues], and go out shopping, hang out with my friends....I can feel good all day...and sometimes it will start up again, AFTER I return home. But I can't be out running around all the time either!

This is so awful....and my shrink sucks so bad... I think I'm going to get on the waiting list here for a new one. I think he seems to think I like to take these pills just to feel high, or something. (WRONG!) If only he knew how much I HATE to take them. (they have affected my memory and I let things go because I'm too relaxed and sleepy all the time, so I don't get a lot done,..things I so need to take care of)

Soodles....I hope you feel better soon...I do want to take this 10 week course that my health plan [Kaiser] offers...it's a "Mindfullness Meditation" course. ..and I've heard it is excellent.

edited to add: I forgot to tell you...I too get the tight throat symptom...and that one really scares me. It feels worse at times than others...as if my whole throat is closing up on me. My GP told me that, that is a common anxiety symptom.

Deda

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-17-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Also please start your own thread to ask your questions. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
(male)

Soodle HB User
Re: Physical symptoms the worst?

Cheers Deda. Sorry to hear you're in a bad way but it sounds like you and me have similar symptoms. I think even the medical profession don't take anxiety seriously 'cos it's not a physical problem, but the symptoms have certainly ruined my life. Wlking around feeling like I have something pressing on my ribs all day and not being able to get as good breath is very unpleasant. This then has a whole range of pschological affects (eg: irritability, lack of energy, depression) but it is the physical symptoms that make day to day life so hard. I used to enjoy sport, though now my heart seems to race if I clomb a steep hill (it also races when I eat and also when I have a drink, which it never did before).

Am trying a new SSRI so I've got my fingers crossed - as always. At the moment Ativan is the only relief I have, though other benzos don't seem to relax the musclers any way near as good.

Thanks for your reply, and good luck.

Closed Thread