It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
anyone else feeling this way?

I am 18 and have been suffering from pretty bad anxiety attacks for as long as I can remember. I feel like it is getting worse as I get older and move on to more things. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels extremely embarrassed about having anxiety and panic attacks. I'm a relatively private and shy person and I've wanted to get help for a long time, but I just feel like I can't bear to tell anyone, I am just so embarrassed by it. I just feel like anyone that finds out will automatically label me as crazy.

There are some days when I am just so sick of feeling anxious all the time - I just don't know how much more I can take.

I did see a naturopathic doctor a few weeks ago and she gave me some supplements to try. I was optimistic but so far I'm not feeling any different. Also, I just feel like I have no one to talk to. No one can possibly understand what I'm feeling - forget my parents, my mom just wonders why I can't relax.

I feel anxious every day. There are days (like today) where I just feel like crying because the anxiety is so depressing. I just want to be normal but I can't.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to give me some advice, without judging me. I'm really struggling right now and any positive words would help.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
(female)

lilly_84 HB User
Re: anyone else feeling this way?

Hi ShannaRiley,

I totally understand how you feel! I'm 22 and have been dealing with anxiety and depression for years. I was too afraid to confront it and be open about it for a long time, like you I was afraid people would think I was crazy.

I have had a positive reaction to meds, seeing a shrink and opening up to my friends, so I would recommend those things. Even if you dont want medication, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help you to discover your triggers for attacks ( if you have triggers) and learn coping mechanisms.
I was having 4/5 attacks a week a few months ago {REMOVED} Now, I have had a few days of anxiety in the last two months, and am starting to get back into life and having heaps of fun.

Although it seems impossible, there is a way out. It takes a lot of hard work, confronting yourself etc but is very worth it. And it does take some time.

Good luck with your recovery, if I can do it you can tooNever give up.
Hope this is helpful to you and not just my rambling!!
lilly_84

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-20-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Also please read the posting rules as to why they other edit was made to your post. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: anyone else feeling this way?

Dont be embarrassed by your anxiety. I understand as I feel really embarrassed even in front of my Husband of 22 years!

I couldnt go on any longer, and went to my Doctor, who ofcourse i wasnt embarrassed to tell how i felt as he is a Doctor, and its confidential. I found or still find it hard to hide it when im having a funny turn, and i think hiding itin itself makes things feel more stressful. I have been put on meds for Air hunger (shortness of breath) as thats the only symptom of a "panic attack" i seem to get. I'm also embarking on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy now which I think may be tough, but im open to try anything. The meds have calmed me a little and lifted my moods, but they havent stopped my SOB times. So im off to see my Doctor again this week to see if he has any more suggestions, as this really is blighting my life right now on a daily basis.

I hope you get over your embarrassment and get yourself off to the Doctors and see what he/she suggests, and if meds are needed, take them to get you over the worst of it, some are not so addictive as others.

All the best

Closed Thread