It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Unhappy Difficulty swallowing

Hey everyone,
The past 2 Day's I'm having a difficult time swallowing.I'm eating soft Foods like Jell-O,mashed scrambled Eggs and soggy Toast,drinking Water,Decaf Coffee,Herbal Tea and sipping on Coke.I've had this problem before,but never this bad.I am keying into it,so it's much worse.Am getting over Bronchitis and horrible Coughing fits,so I have a large amount of Sinus drainage which isn't helping matters any.It feels like my Throat is gonna close up even when I'm not eating.I repeatedly swallow.How can I stop doing this,get my mind off it and relax my Throat and Neck Muscles?It is really scary!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: Difficulty swallowing

I can see how this makes you anxious, but this seems like a physiological problem. You think another board about throat disorders could help you more?

Hmm. I don't know too much about bronchitis, but I've been sick where my throat swelled up. Don't they make anti-inflammatories? What has your GP prescribed?

Maybe a mashed up benzo (yuck!) could help ease your compulsion in thinking about it. I dunno. Let us know how you're doing.

Shakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

ShakesMcThyroid,
I've had PD,GAD and Agoraphobia (on/off) for 12 Years.Through the Years I've had difficulty swallowing.The difference before and now is I went on about my business and didn't think much about it.It's worse this time because I'm keying into it.I've been under heaps of Stress (Father died and Family/Relationship problems) for 7 + Month's.This is enough to account for being tense.Since my Father's Death I've had lots of congestion in my Lungs.I've just learned that our Lungs houses grief and sadness (11th Meridian),so who knows maybe my difficulty swallowing is an imbalance from emotions.

Last edited by Lotus_Blossom; 08-21-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Wow, anxiety can do strange thing. Just throwing this out there (cause I know you know what's wrong with you), but have you had your thyroid checked? Hypo can cause similar symptoms.

I'm sure it's anxiety, though. I'm sorry you have to go through this. You've had it rough lately. Have you been seeing a therapist? If you haven't, do you think they could help? I've had hypnotherapy and EMDR and I was a skeptic, until I felt it work. It's like magic or something.

Do you exercise? I wonder if that could help reduce your stress. I watched a reality show where contestants had to lose a ton of weight. One of them had terrible asthma and after he became active, his asthma vanished.

Anyways, I'm sure things will get better for you. As you know, it just takes time (and I never want to wait).

Shakes

Old 08-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Anxiety plays all kinds of nasty tricks on us.Yes I've had my Thyroid checked a number of times.I choose not to see a Therapist.I don't exercise as much as I should.Just trying to work through the emotions I'm feeling on my own and with the support of the few Family I have left and Friends.Earlier today I remembered watching a program on Television several Weeks ago where an elderly Woman died.They were wondering if the Lye accident she suffered Years earlier played a key role in her death.I guess it damaged her Throat,so she cut her Food up in small pieces and chewed really well.Then a few Day's before I started this swallow thing a Woman told me she almost choked on a Cough lozenge,so these may very well be why the all of a sudden can't swallow.Like I said plays all kinds of nasty tricks on us.Mind over matter blah blah blah

Last edited by Lotus_Blossom; 08-21-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Closed Thread