It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
(male)

Skribblez HB User
Unhappy My anxiety problem is affecting my education!! - Can anyone relate?

Hi, I'm 1*and I have a little bit of an anxiety problem. I think it's mainly Claustrophobia.

Here's my story..

Ok, School just recently started around 5 or 6 weeks ago. I go to this new School that requires me to take the train (around 30-40 minutes travel). I take the train with my mum, so I think it's quite ok..

Problems while travelling on trains..

Problem is I feel nausea and I find it hard to swallow (I have to keep swallowing and drinking water from time to time). This is reasonably bad, and at times, I have to get out of the train at the nearest stop (to breathe and calm down). This usually causes me and my mum to be late, well me late to school, and my mum late to work.

This problem gets even worse if we're sitting on a seat in which the train is moving backwards. It also gets worse when the train is crowded. I feel more anxious and I feel I'm kind of "choking", it becomes even harder to swallow, and I feel as if I can't escape (obviously I can't jump out of the train, LOL).

..I try listening to my iPod, and sometimes it help, other times it makes it worse.

My REAL problem..

As you all know, education is vital.. but how can I actually learn if I have to keep leaving class because of my anxiety problems!?

I am doing an IT course, and we're pretty much in front of computers all day. As soon as I enter the room:
* I find it harder to swallow
* The feeling of being "trapped" and not being able to escape is even worse. Sometimes I'm on the bottom level, and it isn't too hard to escape, but I still for some reason feel anxious. This anxiety is worsened when I'm on a higher level, and have to go down stairs to finally get out of the place.
* My heartbeat gets faster, therefore making my nausea worse.
* I feel so anxious, I can't even talk/open my mouth. I can't even concentrate and listen to what the teacher is saying! I look at the computer and it just makes me feel worse (dizzy sometimes) - I guess I can't talk/open my mouth because I'm too busy swallowing trying to get rid of the feeling, that if I DO open my mouth, I'll vomit.
* I guess another reason I feel anxious is because I'm scared that I might vomit in front of everyone. I feel more embarassed, because I know the people around me, and it's not like trains, where I don't even know the people around me.

Other problems:

* Last year, I didn't have these kinds of problems. I only really had anxiety problems during important exams, since the whole year does the exam in one big room and I kind of get the feeling that it'd be embarassing to vomit there, I get the "trapped" feeling, and the swallowing problem.

* I have anxiety problems eating in food courts. Lots of people are around, and yeah.. I don't feel like eating as much as I'd want to..

* I also feel anxious in places that are extremely crowded, to the point that you can't really move, and also places where lots of people I know are around.

* I also have anxiety problems in Cinemas, especially when they're considerably full. And yeah.. anxiety problems in boats and planes (feeling trapped, not being able to escape, etc.)

* To top that off, I also have a social anxiety problem. I had a haircut a few weeks ago, and I found it hard to swallow again. My heart was beating fast. I guess it was because there were alot of people in the hair salon, and the girl that was cutting my hair was pretty. There are many other situations in which I feel anxious, but I guess I'll leave it at that.

Can anyone relate to this, or can anyone help? This is really bad for my education. I haven't gone to school in 2 weeks! I tried to go to school 2 days ago, but had to leave a few minutes after I got in the room.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-21-2007 at 06:23 AM. Reason: If you are under the age of 17 do not post your age. Thank you. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
(male)

ads71 HB User
Re: My anxiety problem is affecting my education!! - Can anyone relate?

Dude I had a seriouse anxiety issue many years ago.
I was over seas and had an attack which left me in emergency in an irish hospital for fear of a heart attck and feelings of impending doom. Jumped on a plane to Bankok and totally wigged out , short of breath, sweats, vomiting, irrrational etc. Long flight...

Gat back home looked into everything i could in working out what was wrong and discovered I suffered panic attacks..
No real treatment other than pills.
I have always been an anxious person, paranoid about what people are thinking and therefore fueling the problem, but have learnt to control it now,
This may not work for you however through regular exercise, swimming, running etc I have beaten it or at least controlled to a point whereby I dont feel as anxious nor have had an episode since i was 19. Im 35 now and has my first episode 17 years ago..You have a lot on your plate at this time in your life so it is important to make time to wind down de stress and exercise..
Word of wisdom though--Do not drink coffee in any form, coke or cola products, energy drinks, stimulant of any form.
Adam

Im 36 now

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-21-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
(male)

Skribblez HB User

Thanks for the heads up!

I think it might be time to get back to swimming!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

When I'm anxious or under stress, I get a swallowing obsession, I guess to try and rid myself of the anxiety I'm feeling. I feel like I have to swallow all the time, but lately it's gotten much better again. : ) I've also gotten to a point where I'm a little paranoid about what others are thinking about me, so I have gotten myself into therapy again. It's hard sometimes for me to eat in public or go to the movies, but I find after I eat out and survive the experience, I start to enjoy it. I would also suggest finding a really good therapist and start working on what is making you so anxious and get to the root of the cause and work on some possible solutions. I agree to exercise - it helps me to de-stress a lot. When I first suffered from anxiety, my therapist also told me to get rid of all stimulants, but now that I'm feeling better, I allow myself a little bit of caffeine and seem to tolerate it well again. My only real vice in life. : ) I also believe very much in the power of prayers and will keep you in mine. Also, a nice massage can also help to relax you.

danni

Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
(female)

LF124 HB User

skribblez, it sounds like social anxiety from what you described. when you're around a lot of people and have social anxiety, the room seems to close in on you. and it makes sense to me with the other scenerios, that it all ties into just general anxiety and social, but theres probably not a real problem.

just work with a doctor and therapist, medicine can really improve things, and talking and finding out whats making you anxious. and stopping yourself from becoming anxious for fear of being anxious later, because that will just develop more phobias. a good therapist and doctor should be able to answer all your questions and it would be a good idea to seek them out if this is affecting your life so much.

as for what you can do, exercise, positive thinking, deep breathing, imagery, clearing your mind as much as possible, staying away from as much stress as you can, avoiding stimulents, the whole shabang,

Closed Thread