It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
(male)

Botcho HB User
Anxiety in relation to diet

Just a quick note to everyone as I would love your input regading diet and anxiety.

What are the big contributors to anxiety that can be cut out as far as a daily diet? Has anyone noticed an improvement when certain items are removed?

As far as liquids
I don't drink coffee, yet I like an Arizona Iced tea with my morning bagel and peanutbutter.

I do drink Coke, and diet sodas, not in excess. I also have any occasional gatorade.

Unfortunately, and I am not proud of this, I don't drink a lot of water.

As far as foods
I try to get 3 squares a day. I do like my weekly pizza treat.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: Anxiety in relation to diet

Most experts agree that caffeine is bad since it is a stimulant (and tea does have caffeine). It can cause the jitters and difficulty sleeping (I can attest to that).

Sugar is considered a simple carb and is a no no. All those drinks you listed have high levels of refined sugars, which makes your pancreas work very hard and they digest quickly, giving you a sugar high, then low.

Fast food and anything white (bread, pizza, spaghetti, potatoes) fall under the same category. Not to mention those simple carbs contain few vitamins and minerals. Processed carbs fall into this category, as well.

Complex carbs digest slower and contain vitamins and minerals your body needs. It's also believed that carb-rich meals and tryptophan (an amino acid) increase serotonin in your brain, which is a mood stabilizer (great for anxiety).

Also, you may want to research diabetes since the basics to a healthy diet are the same. Bigger meals may cause sugar lows since you go longer between feedings. It's recommended to eat smaller, carb-rich meals (with good fats and protein) more times throughout the day. That way, your body's energy level is more stable without the highs and lows that can trigger anxiety.

Oh, yeah. And alcohol is bad.

Shakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User

Shakes pretty much covered all the bases.
I would just say focus on your intake on fruits and vegetables - the more fresh and organic, the better. It doesn't sound like you're doing too bad in your diet. You have to add for some flexibility. And I heard that even if you drink tea - which has caffeine - unlike coffee, the caffeine is slower absorbed - into the muscles first - unlike coffee, which goes straight to the nervous system (this is stuff that I can't back up - I just heard it from this guy at this tea shop where I get my tea).

After my first panic attack, I had a hard time eating anything. I lost 15 pounds in a month. I talked to my therapist, and she said while I was dealing with those first few bad days, just focus on "comfort foods" - or any food that will make you feel better - just to get some food in you. For me, it was Triscuits and organic peanut butter. But for a solid month, I couldn't even look at fast food. Fortunately, that has helped - I wasn't a fast food junkie - probably once a week if that. But now, it's gone down to zero.

Anyway - I've noticed that food has a definite impact on mood - almost as much as alcohol.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
(male)

Botcho HB User

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
I am trying to do all the research I can, and try everything I can.
I have not touched the sauce since February. I had a beer over the 4th holiday, and felt like crap afterwards. I have come really close to hitting the JD again when the anxiety is high, but I have been able to avoid it.
I think once I am off the Remeron for a while it will be easier to get into a better diet plan.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I lost 56 lbs one one diet, my therapist things it may have triggered my air hunger anxiety attacks, as one of the times i get these attacks is when i start to eat something, not everytime, but there seems to be a bit of a link

So i definietely think diet and food consumption plays with the mind a little,

Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
(male)

Botcho HB User

When I started the Depakote and Remeron all I wanted was ice cream.
I was 180 when I went I started those meds. I am now 225. Those two meds kill any desire to exercise. I started feeling like a big slug. Now that I am off the Dep, I feel more active. I am 5 days off the Remeron and I feel like my lights are back on.

My pdoc finally believed me that I need an anti-anxiety med, not a mood stabilizer or anti-depressant. Those darn meds made me depressed.

The 30mg of Buspar seems to help. I know that there is a diverse population out there that either love it or hate it. So far so good. I may ask him to bump it up as I seem to get some breakthrough anxiety in the afternoon.

I don't know why he threw in the Neurontin, but I do what I am told

Closed Thread