It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Meds and pregnancy

Has anyone here had any experiences with taking anxiety meds while pregnant? Good or bad, I am looking for your stories. My doctor says it is ok to continue taking my Cymbalta if I get pregnant and she also says occasional Xanax use is ok too, but I'm a little nervous about it. On the other hand, if I feel like I am forced to quit these meds, I may never have a baby. Just the thought of being forbidden to take them makes me panicky. What do you think?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

eloise_girl24 HB User
Re: Meds and pregnancy

im kind of in the same boat right now. ive been on klonopin for a couple months now and its a life saver. i MAY be pregnant right now so i havent taken it bc my doctor said to under no circumstances take klonopin while i am pregnant. soooo, i havent taken it and my anxiety is THROUGH THE ROOF! ive been fighting off panic attacks daily, waiting to see if i am pregnant, which im sure has increased my stress levels. many people have been saying that it is okay to take certain meds while you are pregnant. ive heard that prozac while pregnant is okay but i really think each doctor is differnt. if i am indeed pregnant, i definitly need to get on something. let me know if you find anything that is okay to take while you are pregnant or if anyone has any suggestions or meds they took while they were pregnant.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-22-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess that's the problem - your doctor says absolutely no, and my doctor says it's no problem. How can doctors not be on the same page when it comes to this stuff - I mean this is serious!!! That's why i want to hear from people who have actually taken stuff while prego I guess - to see if their baby had any problems.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi there,

I'm 14 weeks pregnant. I've been struggling with this for the last 2 months! I posted a thread here myself. I came off my Prozac and stopped Xanax as soon as I found out (early, luckily). Then, I went to my doctor (OB GYN) who said it was perfectly fine to take the Prozac if I needed it. I do. But, I did online research and still cannot find a straight answer. She said there are risks, but not to worry. Well, easier said than done!!!
I have not taken it and my anxiety is extreme. I have a tough time doing anything and start a new job soon and don't know how I'll cope! Grr.
So, yes, it's frustrating not knowing what to do. Even the info I found online was out of date and some said Prozac was Class B, some said Class C (risky).

One more thing. My doctor said do not take Xanax no matter what. She said that and other benzos are more risky, and are Class D.

Love to hear on what you decide, any other feedback! Look up my last post and you can see what I was told.
Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I plan on getting prenant soon and I want to be prepared. I talked to my doctor and she said that I can take Zoloft while pregnant. She said the her office is the most experience with Zoloft. I heard that the occasional Xanax is OK only if absolutely necessary. If the benefits outweigh the risks than it is worth it. I can't stay healthy for my baby unless I am sane. No one can change my mind on this. I will not stop taking meds when I am pregnant.
My husband fully supports me. He sees how badly the anxiety affects me and he believes that meds would be better as well.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

jennymar HB User

Hello everyone! I'm in the same boat here. I've been on citalopram (generic for Celexa) for about a year and a half. It's saved my life. The perscribing doctor says its OK to take durring pregnancy and that's the only reason I decided it was OK for me to get pregnant. I'm now almost 7 weeks and my OBGYN wants me to go down to 10mg from 30mg. This scares me! My panic attacks were horrible before the medication, and how can I possibly deal with a pregnancy if I'm in that condition once again?? I'd love to find a straight answer on anti depressants durring pregnancy.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I was on celexa. I was told to switch to Zoloft whem I get pregnant because there has been more testing with it because it is older. Otherwise I would have stayed on the Celexa. I am not pregnant yet, but I have anxiety about it. I am terrified I will not be able to handle it mentally. Just this morning is had a mild panic attack while babysitting my nephew. I kept thinking about whether I can handle having a child and changing my whole life.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hey...I hope everyone is doing well (as well as can be at least!)...

Jailyn, did you research Zoloft? I read a few articles in the last few days which definitely put me off taking any SSRI's when pregnant. I saw many things written against Zoloft among them. Zoloft is category C along with all the other SSRI's. This states that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. The animal studies in the article I read stated miscarriage, birth defects, withdrawal, pulmonary hypertension, heart problems and more.

I cannot post the link here, but there is an article written just last month which exposes the dangers of SSRI's and pregnancy. I need the medication myself, but I do not want to put my baby through possible withdrawal and other possible problems.
The article was in response to the famous report a few months back that was claiming SSRI's are extremely safe to use during pregnancy. Well, it turns out the report was sponsored by the pharmecutical (sp?) companies themselves. This article failed to mention several studies results which were very negative.

Believe me, I'm not trying to put you off, but make sure you all can make an informed decision.
I suffer from the most horrific anxiety but I intend to try and do this without meds. I have another 6 months to go. I think I can just about make it. There are other ways to combat the anxiety, like CBT or deep breathing.
I even filled my presciption for the prozac, and took my first pill and then I thought, what am I doing? I didn't want to risk it and my husband was very unhappy about me taking the risk.

Good luck to you all and I hope you make the decision that is right for you, and have healthy babies.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAILYN12 View Post
I was on celexa. I was told to switch to Zoloft whem I get pregnant because there has been more testing with it because it is older. Otherwise I would have stayed on the Celexa. I am not pregnant yet, but I have anxiety about it. I am terrified I will not be able to handle it mentally. Just this morning is had a mild panic attack while babysitting my nephew. I kept thinking about whether I can handle having a child and changing my whole life.
I feel exactly the same way. I know tons and tons of people with anxiety worse than mine that have kids, so I guess you cope when you have to, but just the idea of something so permanent terrifies me - you can never go back once you are a parent.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

marla20 HB User

I had the worst anxiety a person could have. Panic and all. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I was told by my dr. to STOP. Of course this was in 1988. I am sure things have changed in some areas. However some things have not changed. AD during pregnancy are probably not a good idea. I was very lucky. I had no episodes and felt great. 3 months after my son was born everything came back. It was like my body and my brain produced something during pregnancy that made me feel okay. 3 months later I was back on meds. I have 2 older sons but I didn't have any problems with depression and anxiety at the time of their pregnancies or births. (thank goodness) Do some research before you make the decision to stay on meds during pregnancy. Marla 20

Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I took zoloft while I was pregnant with my 2nd child. He is a very healthy 12 year old boy. I can't remember about the xanax....if I did take it, it was only when I absolutely had to. When I was pregnant with my 1st child, all my anxiety and panic issue magically went away the whole time, but I didn't have that luck the 2nd time. I do remember my ob-gyn said with my 2nd child that he would rather me take the zoloft than not to take anything. He felt that the effects of the anxiety and depression would be worse on the baby than taking the zoloft.

Mjewell, how are you liking cymbalta and how long have you been on it? I didn't realize you had started cymbalta.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kelly,

Yeah, I haven't been on for a long time. I started doing real estate and another independent contractor job, and I can't tell you how much that has helped with my anxiety. Just being on my own is a big relief.

I went off everything for about 8 months and I was feeling fine, but then sure enough the anxiety came back and I was taking 2 or 3 Xanax every day. My doctor gave me Cymbalta because I told her I had gained weight on Lexapro, but guess what, I've gained on Cymbalta too. Can't blame it all on the drugs though, I am not eating well or exercising.

Cymbalta is pretty good - I only take maybe 1 xanax a week now, which is better than I have ever done. I don't think it is quite as strong as Lexapro though - I still have some daily anxiety every once in a while, which I didn't use to get on Lexapro. But overall I'm doing good.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Congratulations on your jobs! That's great! I think cymbalta is pretty good too...not as good as lexapro, but it works at evening my moods out. I actually lost weight on it, but my face has gotten really puffy lately. I haven't gained, but it's like I'm retaining fluid. I'm thinking it's the cymbalta.

Good luck! Are you trying to start a family now?

Closed Thread