It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

blu3crayon HB User
Beta Blocker - Anxiety

Hello Everyone, I am 21. Male etc..

So I have been taking 12.5 mg of Metoprolol (break a 25 mg in half lol) along with Xanax and Lexapro for my anxiety. The Beta blocker was given because I was having heart rates of 140-180 lasting 2-3 hours at a time. I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.. or has tried a Beta BLocker for there anxiety.

I have been on it since april I am now noticing my heart rate climbing again. Could my body getting used to the drug?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User
Re: Beta Blocker - Anxiety

It could be - I've been on Toporil (sp?) since my first anxiety attack in May of this year. I'm down to a half-dose a day (25 mg). Have you talked to your doctor?

What's your caffeine/sugar intake like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

I have cut out caffeine out of my diet fully. But the sugar I have not done so well with. I mean I still drink my root beer >< and am not beyond hard candy and my breakfast cereal was bad until recently.. now I just eat plain cheerios. Do you think I should call my doctor? And on a side note it does seem my heart rate is highest when I am getting up it used to be low when I started the med. Oh might I ask the reason you were put on a beta blocker (Did you request it .. or was it your doctors idea. In my case I asked "Do you think a beta blocker could help" :P) I have also had this worry that is weakens my heart.. though I assume that is all in my head. :P

Last edited by blu3crayon; 08-23-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User

I had an anxiety attack in May. My family doctor first gave me a beta blocker for the heart because the preliminary diagnosis from the ER doc was 'irregular palpitations.' Through a bit more investigative work, it turned out to be diagnosed as anxiety. I had a chest X-ray at the doctor and on the chest-X-ray, they spotted something (unrelated) - and I had a CT Scan of my chest. It turned out to be nothing (slightly enlarged sternum - just anatomy).

I needed a doctor in Omaha - and I got a referral - so I saw another doctor in Omaha. She recommended a stress test because of my family history (my dad died of a heart attack). Everything came out clean.

So, in short - it couldn't hurt to see a doctor - just for a routine physical. Bring up the heart concern and most likely, you'll get a blood test. The chest x-ray and CT scan were precautionary measures. If you really want to put your mind at ease, mention a stress test during the physical and see what your doctor says.

In the meantime, if you find your heart racing, one thing I usually try is a yoga exercise where you lay down, breath deep through your nose and breath all the way into your stomach - up through your chest and into your shoulders. Breathe in deeply for about seven seconds, wait for a few seconds (5-7 seconds) - and exhale for about eight seconds - if you can, try to exhale from the top, down to your stomach and finally, squeeze your stomach a bit.
Repeat this for about five minutes.

Hope this helps

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-23-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

i have.i think they should rule out all heart problems before desiding it is nerves.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-23-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quoute. Ms_Mod

Old 08-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

you also need a holtor montor for this and a ekg .make sure you really dont have a heart problem first

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Like hope and Voodoo said, a stress echocardiogram, EKG, and carotid artery ultrasound should be performed by a cardiologist to make sure your heart is not the cause.

Also, you may want to visit an endocrinologist and have them check your thyroid levels. Hyperthyroidism can cause tachycardia as well as palpitations.

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 08-23-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
(male)

blu3crayon HB User

I see, Well I will bring it up when I see my doctor next. Though I have noticed while on this beta blocker I have needed my xanax much less. Might I inquire as to what the blood test entails? I have myself never been sure how or why my heart rate shot up to those heights.. Though I think anxiety triggered it. The only test I have had done so far is an EKG.. and for the record this has been going on since uh october of last year :x

Last edited by blu3crayon; 08-23-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

you need to rule out everything.there is more test to be run and blood work.you should know why it did this.....also not everything is anxiety.docs get alittle to on the jump saying everything is anxiety.however who wouldnt be if there heart beats fast or odd.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-23-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary. Ms_Mod

Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
(male)

Frodoh HB User

ask your doctor if you can take the whole 25 mg pill.

Closed Thread