It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

SweetPea8395 HB User
Natural remedies anyone?

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I was wondering has anyone found any natural remedy that helps with anxiety? I don't believe in conventional medicine and would rather take a holistic approach. I suspect that some nutritional deficiencies could trigger or worsen anxiety. Hyperthyroidism is often cited as a cause of anxiety and I've read that iodine could help.

Any suggestions or success stories with natural supplements?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

goodintention HB User
Re: Natural remedies anyone?

Exercise!

and you can't treat hyperthyroidism without conventional medicine, by the way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
(female)

mandy26 HB User

Hi,
I'm sure you'll get some other responses about holistic approaches to dealing with anxiety. I'm actually responding to your casual comment about hyperthyroidism and iodine.

Hyperthyroidism can cause anxiety (as can many other things), and many of the other symptoms of hyperthyroidism mimic those of anxiety. (Conversely, hypothyroidism offen causes depression.) If you have any reason to suspect hyperthyroidism as a contributing factor or possible cause of your anxiety--family member w/ a thyroid disorder, other symptoms--you should talk to your doctor. They would run some simple bloodtests to confirm. And one of the common treatments is radioactive iodine (not something you can get at the store), which is often administered in a hospital setting. As goodintention mentions, you cannot avoid conventional medicine if a thyroid disorder is at work.

You might read through some other threads on this board re: diet and anxiety. And there are lots of non-medicine discussions as well, about different books, therapies, breathing, meditation, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by mandy26; 08-23-2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: addition

Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

MrsPM HB User

I agree with Goodintention--exercise! Also, drink plenty of water and eat a healthy, balanced diet. I would also take a multi-vitamin and make sure you get enough calcium. Also, try to reduce any stress in your life as much as possible.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

SweetPea8395 HB User

Thanks for your responses. Iodine is recommended on some holistic sites for thyroid problems. On other sites, it says that this is too simplistic and could aggravate thyroid problems.

On another site I read that 80% of Americans are iodine deficient. I'm a little confused now.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-23-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: posted commercial website and copied from it

Old 08-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
(female)

crazy girl HB User

I went through this for a while, I am more into natural & herbal remedies although I have chosen to go on medication now.I found that chamomile helped me alot. I would drink the tea about three times a day. Brew it really strong, let it seep for about ten minutes or so that helps to bring out the medicinal qualities. Another thing is b6 & b12 vitamins help some people as well. These helped me a little but you might also want to let your doc know if it is panic attacks, xanax as needed helps and although it is medicine the side effects are rare/mild, especially if taken as needed. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
(female)

gabes1mum HB User

I agree that exercise is key to ridding yourself of anxiety, and of course a balanced diet staying away from caffeine (that includes colas and chocolate) and foods with a lot of sugar which can make you jittery and heighten anxiety. And contrary to popular belief smoking cigarettes actually increases your heart-rate and is a stimulant not a sedative so smoking increases anxiety.

Closed Thread