It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

m4rcoperuano HB User
is my anxiety causing my excess saliva?

i dunno...im rerally worried, like, i just got off zoloft 3 or 4 weeks ago, and when i was on it, i had excess saliva so i always spit. If i swallowed it, too much of it will make my stomach hurt, im assuming cuz when you swallow your saliva you swallow air too, and it made me belch a lot. It's still continuing, the belching, the saliva, and its really getting to me...

im burping right now again cuz of it..

im also taking antibiotics (penicilin) for my tooth that i need a root canal, some infection or whatever, im guesing thats adding to the saliva? which causes a bigger stomach ache the more i swallow it?

i dont know...it gets to me that it might be somthing serious or not...err...help plz

Old 08-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
Re: is my anxiety causing my excess saliva?

I know this isn't anything scientific but when I get nervous or anxious, I suddenly have ALOT more saliva and feel a need to constantly swallow (which then makes my stomach hurt.. its a vicious cycle!).. Just so you know that you aren't alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

m4rcoperuano HB User

well thanks, i needed that.
i kept thinking it might be something serious.
i read up that anxiety does make you do that, and since ive suffered from anxiety in the past 2 years (recently got off meds and feeling good!) i guess it makes sense

Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

Hi,

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have experienced the exact same symptoms. The very first time it happened, I was in high school and was moving from one state to another. I guess I was under a lot of stress, which triggered anxiety in me. I was also moving in with my mom, step-father and grandmother and totally changing my living situation, school, etc. I started having a lot more saliva and feeling like I needed to swallow all the time. I remember it going away probably about the time I graduated and I remember it going away on its own. My mom had taken me to the general M.D. for the excess saliva, but he couldn't find anything. I probably needed my anxiety treated, but who knew what it was that I was experiencing? Anyway, I pretty much was free of the problem for about 26 years and then it came back under stress again in 2006. I was thinking I might even have what they call OCD - obsessive-compulsive disorder, because in a book I read a misc. symptom is the fear of swallowing too much or much little. It can even happen with people's breathing and blinking. I've had the blinking thing before and the breathing thing and then it went away. I also think I've had other little signs of OCD along the way, but anyway, I definitely think it is anxiety-related. OCD is also an anxiety disorder. I've tried some biofeedback, which helped with generalized anxiety, but the swallowing/saliva thing isn't totally gone. I'm starting with a new counselor who specializes in OCD, even though she isn't labeling me with such. If I chew gum, I can make it go away. I also do have acid reflux - hot stomach, belching, have had the mucous and coughing before and can definitely feel the acid come up the throat. What sustains me is my faith in God and knowing that this problem went away before. God heals. : ) My prayers are with you. If it makes you feel any better, my first therapist said that it was anxiety manifesting itself into physical symptoms. Do you find if you relax and stop thinking about it that it goes away or gets better?

danni

P.S.) Do you also find that you are anxious in social settings? I never was until this last episode, but find myself wanting to socialize less and less.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

Just a follow-up post to say that the last two days have been really good for me. My work is SO busy and I have found myself concentrating less and less on the whole swallowing/saliva thing. I have actually started feeling "normal" again and not feeling the need to swallow so much like I did before. It's as though my brain is finally starting to stop worrying or has "unlatched" from the constant thinking about it. I've also noticed my saliva returning to normal again. I honestly think the swallowing/saliva thing is definitely stress and anxiety related. The reflux probably also aggravates the problem, but my theory on reflux is that it is also stress induced - just my opinion. My advice would be to (and again, I'm not a dr. or dentist or counselor) get your tooth infection under control and rule out any dental/medical issues first and if not those, I would really try and relax and stop worrying about the problem and eat healthy, exercise - do things to get your mind off of the problem. If you feel inclined to visit a counselor, I'd discuss it with them as well. I just know from personal experience that it can and does eventually go away on its own. I also believe in the healing power of prayer. : ) I have also found that a natural toothpaste makes my mouth feel clean and dry. My prayers are with you.

danni

Closed Thread