It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
(male)

Botcho HB User
Best anti-depressant for ANXIETY

I recently came off Remeron, which was given as an aid for anxiety. It didn't do squat. Ecept make me fat, and sleep 10+ hours a day.

In everyones opinion, what do you think are the best anti-depressant medications that relieve anxiety?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

mandy26 HB User
Re: Best anti-depressant for ANXIETY

I'm currently having success w/ Lexapro--but only after getting up to a high enough dose (20mg). And I supplement w/ Ativan as needed. Together, they're working well for me. I haven't been brave enough yet to give the Lexapro a go alone, without the Ativan (though that is the goal)...

Good question Botcho. Am curious to see others' replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I used celexa for 8 weeks but it was to sedating. Didn't want to get out of bed. I just started on lexapro. Hope it works. I also take buspar for anxiety. I am taking the lexapro more for depression with a little anxiety. Godbless

Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
(male)

Botcho HB User

Thanks a lot. I don't think the Buspar it's job either. Or the Neurontin for that matter. I still don't know if the increased anxiety is due to stopping Remeron.
I tried Lex, but it made me really hyper.

I am interested in what other's will say also. I would love to try a benzo, but I am deathly afraid of addiction. I don't think the pdoc will prescribe it either.

I swear he likes to see me suffer.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

springgodess HB User

I swear by Zoloft. It might not work for some people, but for me it did wonders. It literally cured me of my panic attacks. Of course, I started out at a lower dose (25 mg), cause you have to because it makes you really jittery in the begining. Then after 1 and a half weeks I upped it to 50mg, and been on it for a while. I heard it scores really good for people with depression (which I had a mild version of), but I was not expecting it to do so well for anxiety. Also, while I got my chemical system used to the Zoloft, I took Ativan as needed, and it calmed me down immediately.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
(male)

Botcho HB User

I just got back from a great meeting with my pdoc. He was actually civil, and spent a good amount of time with me. Different from my previous visits.
After a long conversation we agreed that I will stop the Buspar and Neurontin.
He prescribed Ativan. So I will post my expierence with it, as my first does is tonight. I am hoping for some peace, as I have been fighting this anxiety morning noon and night!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

mandy26 HB User

That sounds like a good report--you sound relieved! Glad to hear your pdoc listened to you. Other than the Ativan, will you be on any other meds for anxiety? You mentioned recently stopping the Remeron, and now Buspar and Neurontin...

I look forward to seeing your reaction to the Ativan. It's been a life-saver for me, recently. Good luck!

Last edited by mandy26; 08-27-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added question

Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
(male)

Botcho HB User

Ativan is going to be it. But now after reading all the horror stories about addiction, I am nervous about taking it.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I used to take it - i had no problems coming off.

i have learned to deal with one issue at a time.

Try not to worry - just get feeling better!!!

Last edited by j2006; 08-27-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I did answer your question earlier - but for some reason it did not post.

I like Prozac very much for panic and anxiety. It gave me energy, not the anxious kind.I was only on it for a very short time because of other health reasons. I hope to go back on it soon.

Never taken Zoloft but I have heard some great feedback on it.

Celexa was good but I was too tired on it. Same with Lexapro.

Also, I like klonopin.

Last edited by j2006; 08-27-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I have been taking ativan for over a year now. I take it as needed and it has made a world of difference. I do not feel addicted, i dont take it everyday or even every other day just when the anxiety gets to where i cant take it. Good luck, i personally never went on anti-depressants cause of the side effects.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

marla20 HB User

I'm with you. I have been on Ativan for over 12 years. There are some months in a row I don't need it. I can go 3 or four months without one, and then I might need the ativan for 3 or four days in a row. It just depends on my body. I don't take this when I feel stressed or worried. I take it when my body does not feel right, like when I am hormonal. Right now I am peri-menopausal so I am feeling like I need them more because of anixety. I never take them to sleep even though my sleep patterns have changed greatly. Although my dr. told me to take them if I can't sleep. Anyway I am not addicted after 12 years. I even had a script for so long I had to through it out because it expired. Marla20

Closed Thread