It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
(male)

spidercomrade HB User
Anxiety?

Skip this paragraph if you want to get straight to my question, this is my backstory: I have spent the past summer in and out of the doctor's office and hospitals. From the very beginning, the doctors thought my problems were caused by anxiety; the very first physician i saw gave me Ativan. Anyway, my journey through the tentative diagnoses of many doctors is documented on these message boards. I've had blood tests, MRIs, CTs, sinus endoscopies... I thought for two weeks I had a skull base bone tumor as a result of the first MRI, ordered by my physician to "ease my mind". Eventually, after a new MRI and a CT, my neurosurgeon diagnosed me with fibrous dysplasia of the skull base, which is a weakening of the bone. Not necessarily good, but he said that it couldn't be causing my symptoms. I have been prescribed medications for anxiety, depression, allergies, sinus infection, etc... I can give a full list if needed.

Anyway, my question is this:

Can anxiety cause physical symptoms without any stimulus or real anxious feelings? My symptoms are:

- Feeling of pressure in head, bridge of nose sometimes and top of head
- Yawning
- Dazed feeling
- Muscle twitches (myoclonus? limb jerks) and fasciculations
- Extreme fatigue in neck area
- Lump in throat/neck
- Hard to define symptom... things look odd to me, as if my vision is altered in some way... my eyes were fine when i got an eye exam
- General malaise, feeling there's something wrong with me

These symptoms seem to come and go, but usually at least one is present at any given time. I'm sure that anxiety is a part of this; when I first felt this way, back in April, I couldn't sleep, which was certainly anxiety... I was having panic attacks in the middle of the night. My real question is whether my anxiety IS the problem, or if I'm anxious ABOUT what's wrong with me. Doctors are stumped, but the prevailing opinion from physicians I've seen seems to be that I suffer from anxiety. Could that explain everything I've been feeling? If so, how can I break out?

I'd like to add that my most recent visit to a physician, about a week and a half ago, I was prescribed Wellbutrin, so I have started taking that in the hopes that it will help me. I also take Klonopin at times when I feel particularly bad, and it seems to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
(male)

lancey14 HB User
Re: Anxiety?

I have a similar story, looking for alternative answers but the doctors keep saying anxiety. I have some similar symptoms- pressure in head, sometimes feel numb in face, weakness and aching muscles, eye twitching most of the time, lightheaded, tightness in back of neck and feeling lethargic.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
(male)

spidercomrade HB User

I suppose, considering the number of people I've seen with these symptoms, that it could very well be anxiety. It feels completely physical, but so many people I've seen have these problems with no answers. I simply cannot find a case online of someone having these particular symptoms or even close to that had any other diagnosis than depression/anxiety. We'll see. Any other opinions much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi,

I suffer from anxiety/hypochondria. I've had most of the symptoms you've listed at some point in my life.

It never ceases to amaze me how anxiety manages to manifests itself in different physical symptoms....sometimes I get muscle aches and twitches, at other times, the lump in the throat, and the list goes on. You just never know how it's going to show itself.....

I take celexa and it helps.

PS. Yes, sometimes the symptoms come up and I can't pinpoint an exact reason for any anxiety. My doctor says that's not unusual once you've had anxiety before.
best,

c

Last edited by tetianainto; 08-30-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

tetiainto, sounds like I could have wrote that. it is pretty amazing how this anxiety just changes with different symptoms. I take paxil and it helps as well, thank goodness otherwise I dont know what I would do. Maybe someday this will all be a fading memory.

Closed Thread