It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Lexapro...can you share your experience?

My Dr. Prescribed Lexapro for me today for PMDD. I also have anxiety for which I take .5mg of Klonopin twice daily. I am afraid of SSRIs as they have not worked for me in the past, but I have never tried this one.

The 2 biggest issues in my life right now are extreme fatigue and needing to lose about 20lbs. I can NOT take anything that will make me gain more weight or make me more tired than I already am. These are my biggest worries. I also have tachycardia for which I take a beta blocker. So I also worry about have heart side effects as well.

Any suggestions, advice, stories to share - I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

TIA

Heather, 33

Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

taylorsmom93 HB User
Re: Lexapro...can you share your experience?

Hi. I'm not as informed as alot of people on this subject. I started taking Paxil last year, it seemed to make me worse. I switched to Lexapro in May, and I think it may have saved my (and my family's) life. I feel so much better. It worked wonders for me, at 10 mg a day. And I haven't gained any weight so far. Hope it all goes well for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Hi Heather,
I don't seem to get on here much anymore because my anxiety is so normal anymore, but I'm glad I did so I could share with you. I had severe anxiety and have tried several SSRI's in the past with no luck. I also have SVT, which I take a beta blocker for too. My Dr. put me on Lexapro in November last year, and the first month was very difficult, but I stuck it out. I'm so glad I did, and so are my family and friends. It saved my life. I literally wasn't leaving my house because I panicked over everything, and I was obsessed over my heart and health. So, I'm glad for the Lexapro. Now, the bad news for me, I have gained 40 pounds on it, and still counting. I don't want to get off the Lexapro, and due to my svt, I can't take any weight loss supplements that increase the heart rate. I've been exercising daily, to the best of my ability with my heart, but so far no luck. I've tried every diet in the book.

I had absolutely no heart side effects one way or the other. I still have my pac's and pvc's and svt, with or without the Lexapro. It did make me tired for the first month, then after that, I seem more awake, because the anxiety and panick are gone.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I have heard some people not gain weight on Lexapro too, so I think there is no way to know for sure unless you try it.

Take care,
Michelle

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I'm on Celexa and find I'm more energetic than usual. I found Paxil and Effexor too sedating.

I have also heard good things about Celexa (or Lexapro) in terms of weight. Many who gained wight on other SSRIs, did not gain the the weight on Lexapro. If it helps your anxiety, it's worth a try!

best,

c

Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Are celexa and Lexapro the same med????

Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

lexapro is a newer version of celexa. I was on celexa for 8 weeks and didn't gain any weight but I felt too sedated. Slept too well on it. Not so the lexapro. Feel a little shaky and don't have much of an appetite. Not sleeping well. Only starting week 2. Hope this works. Godbless

Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

zeyavia HB User

my exp. with it has been good
two months and counting...first few weeks were tough...i realized why ppl give up but i stuck it out and im glad i did
btw miche
how long before you noticed weight gain
as in would i already be gaining?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
(female)

sterling06 HB User

I was on Lexapro for a year and then my doctor wanted to switch me to Cymbalta. I couldn't be happier with the change. The Lexapro was affecting my blood sugars, made it very difficult to lose weight (a fact confirmed by my bariatric physician) and made me drowsy with mixed results. The cymbalta ,30mg, has been a true godsend and I have heard the same from others on it, too. My doctor wanted to switch me because she had been having much better results with her patients, fewer side effects as well. I have no desire to change after 2 years.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
(male)

Quantum17 HB User

Hey there I have been taking lexapro for 3 1/2 months now. I am on 30 mg. I started with 10 mg and worked my way up to 30 which seems to be my therapeutic dose. I no longer have social anxiety. The only side effects I experienced was sexual. It took a longer time to climax, but after a couple of weeks that problem went away. As far as weight gain, I havent had any. As the matter of fact I've lost 15 lbs! I just ate right and exercised. Good luck with finding a treatment that works for you.

Closed Thread