It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Do we get over this?

Can anyone re assure me that I will get better, and that people do actaully come out of this Air hunger problem i have. Can anyone write here that has been through this and has come out the other end symptom free. Love to hear your stories please.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Do we get over this?

YES. OF COURSE!
I have been suffering from serious and very crippling panic attacks and depression for the last 4 years. It is 9 months now that I have almost thrown away all medication and continue a very normal life.
I have done this by:
a. Having serious, committed, long term therapy with a psychiatrist
b. taking proper medication for my specific condition
c. developing many interests and activies to take my mind away from woes during difficult times and
d. not being scared if i feel low or bad because i have learnt to be in control and conquerred my fears of being sick or dying.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

vo-5 HB User

I never did. I've had it for 20 years now and despite psychiatric and psychologist visits regularly and medication (I'm on 6) no luck. I've been told I'm a rare case though. Usually most people get over it...just not me. It has gotten so bad that I had to quit work and am on disability for it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-30-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Im very sorry to hear that V0.

I hope im not one of those rareities.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

springgodess HB User

I am still on medication, but I can tell you that the best tool for sustained recovery in my case (besides the medication) is writing in my journal. It's called 'journaling' and it's extensively used by people with different conditions (depression, mood disorders, eating disorders) as a means to get your feelings out there, express them, and keep things at an objective level. When you dwell on your feelings and emotions too long (as people with anxiety and depression often do) it helps to have a tool to objectify them by putting them onto paper, and bringing emotions back into balance. So if you're thinking about recovery long term, I highly recommend either journaling or some form of CBT, in order to take care of yourself without the help of a therapist.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes i am having CBT therapy alonside Prozac. So im trying my best to get over this, the best way i can. Weird because i had 2 days of lovely breaths, no shortness of breath but today in a cafe i felt it come back again, so am i little disapointed thought i was further down the road to recovery than i actualy am. Never mind. Onwards and upwards.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
(male)

temmu HB User

Greetings,

I have been dealing with Anxiety for the last 15 or so years, and there are certain things you can do to control you anxiety (either stopping it altogether, or bringing it down to a level that is manageable). And I haven't had a panic attack for years, or ever since I first started changing the way I live. I am also not on any medication.

First and foremost, stay 100% away from caffeine and other stimulants (red bull, Ephedrine, etc). If you can't, get used to your anxiety. I think being a little bit more tired during the day is an acceptable side effect.

This means no coffee, tea (no decaf, Herbal are alright (chamomile is great)), pop (pepsi, coke, rootbeer, Mellow Yellow, etc), chocolate, decaf (still has a bit of caffeine), etc. Staying away from all types of pop is a good idea, because your body may also be extra sensitive to refined sugars (pop, junk food, white bread (refined bleached wheat), etc).

Also booze/drugs of any kind will make your anxiety worse, as it is a depressant.

Avoiding stimulants will automatically bring down your level of anxiety to possibly a level that you can live with and control. You might notice that it is still there, or showing the top of its ugly head, but it does not set you off, or shut you down the way the way combining a stimulant with anxiety usually would.

Secondly, hit the gym or get exercise as much as possible. This will help you blow off stream, and increase the amount of good chemicals in your body, that ultimately increase your mood for the better. Also Yoga and meditation can really help (stretching, breathing, relation, etc).

Thirdly, don't worry about what you "can't control." I found I was worrying about everything, and I learnt to let go, or recognize when I was getting anxious, and stop it, but focusing on something else. Or taking a deep breath.

If something you can control is at the base of all your problems/anxiety, them do something about it. It might be your job, or relationships (spouse, bf/gf, family), etc. You have the power to change these types of situations.

Also, take the time to smell the roses, and get out of the rat race as often as possible. This will give your body a chance to relax and realize what is most important. Life is short, enjoy it!

If you were to implement all of the above to their maximum for a couple weeks to a month, you should 100% see a major difference. And after being off stimulants (booze, coffee, etc), you will be able to identify the increase in anxiety pretty easily should you go back to them (the affect of one cup of coffee can last several days).

There are also a number of supplements on the market that can naturally help anxiety and depression. Keep in mind that all products are not created equal, so you might need to try a different brand or two, until you find what you are looking for. Also keep in mind that some vitamins are water soluble and others fat soluble (fat soluble can create toxicity if you consume too much).

I've had the most success with 5-HTP (25 - 50mg per day) (which is a pre-curser to serotonin), when combined with a B-complex vitamin (usually 25 - 50mg per day). But since I am not a doctor, please speak with you health professional before implementing any new program, or supplement.

I really hope this helps, and I am 100% sure if you were only to exercise, eat properly (whole foods such as veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc) and avoid stimulants, that you will feel much better in no time. Also don't forget to remove all negative situation from your life.

Closed Thread