It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

C Akers HB User
New Person today with Anxiety & Epilepsy

I have had Epilepsy and Generalized Anxiety Disorder for over 35 years so they say.

I started out with Anxiety & Panic Attacks in the US Army while serving in Turkey. I was assulted by my fellow soldiers on a daily basis. After a couple of months is caused me to have a nerves breakdown and, I was admitted to the hospital. The whole thing was over drugs and money. Back then, the US Army was heavly into drugs. I never used any drugs, drink, or smoked. This did not set well with my fellow soldiers. They really had a case of Paranora.

They smashed my head against the cinder-brick walls of the halways and beat me and even tried to hang me by the neck. After that I suffered from PTSD and Panic attacks.

During my stay in Germany, I was hit over the top of the head with a inch think beer glass during a fight at NCO Club on base. It caused me to have 2 inch cut on top of my head. After that, I would have symptoms of Epilepsy and brain damage. Missing letters and whole words out of sentenses when writing anything at all. Find myself starting at blank walls sometimes. Have a sudden jerking movement and bounced off the sofa while laying down.

Two years later fail of a bolder in Arizona and struck my head into a sharpened 2 X 4 piece of wood from an old building on base. After that time, I would wake up in the middle of the night with full blown panic attack or suddenly stop breathing. No air coming into my body and no air going into my body. My chest would just lock up like the brakes on a car.

I would also get very car sick every time I road in any type of automobile. These spells increased in duration and strength as the years rolled by. I could not even watch a movie or television program that had swirling patterns in the program. No stobe lights either.

During that whole time in the military I had to contend with panic attacks, too. Shortness of breath, feeling of dieing, and wanted to leave the place or area causing me undue stress.

I weight went up and down like a yo-yo. I got to the point after leaving the US Army where I could not work anymore. Between the Panic Attacks, Anxiety, and Seizures I had to go on total disability.

Now days I am left housebound for years at a time, not weeks years. I have whole body jerks and it leaves me tired and confused the rest of the day.

So, I am very strang in the facts of having Anxiety and Epilepsy together.

I have been fighting the Veterans Administration for 30 yrs now to get my retirement check for service connected disability. I am only getting Social Security Disability right now. Very little money to live on. The Social Security recognized my service disability but, the US Army does not. I even have all papers to back up every word I have just told you. (Medical doctor statements & tests & hospital records)

Sorry everyone for talking so much!

c akers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: New Person today with Anxiety & Epilepsy

I too suffer from seizure disorder and panic attacks.

I feel for you. Your story is heart breaker. You will absolutly find support here on this site and the Epilepsy site as well.

Are you taking any medication for panic/ or GAD.

I am on Keppra for seizures and klonopin as needed for Panic and anxiety

Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
(male)

C Akers HB User
Wink Re: New Person today with Anxiety & Epilepsy

Right now none for I have trouble leaving the home being homebound and all. I have been placed on drugs that were meant for only 3 or 6 months use. Drugs like Xanax, Lorizapan, Ativan, and Clorizapna. It is very hard to find a medication that works on both at the same time. Mixed anxiety meds and Epilepsy meds is very dangerous business. Every few years, I have doctor come out from a civilian hospital or VA to check on me otherwise I do not get to see doctor on regular visits. States like PA. they get a doctor to visit the housebound folks every month. I live in Colorado where they never come out to your home. The doctors are too scared to go to patients homes and if you cannot go to them, then you are out of luck.

I am also in a legal battle with the VA Center in my state and I am lucky to be able to get a doctor to come out twice a year. The problem is they made a mistake and owe me money, allot of back pay and they cannot afford to admit I am sick and have a nerves condition. So, I suffer in silence at home.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

This is awful! Is there anyway you could get some help? I know here in Boston we have what is called Legal Aid and it is mostly free for people who need help that do not have the funds.

I know that klonopin is an anti-seizure drug as well as used for anxiety and panic. Maybe this is something you could look into as it is less expensive than other ither medications used for both.

I am sorry you are going through all of this - you deserve to have the monthly visits - you should demand them!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
(male)

C Akers HB User

On August 3, 2007, the va did send a doctor to my house. She did all sorts of tests and told me I should be considered service connected disabled. That way I could have monthly doctor visits. The only problem so far is that the va will not recognized or accept their own Neurologists recommendations. They are that dead set against giving me anything at all. I have the DAV (Disabled American Vets) working on my case as we speak but they too are having difficulty getting through to the VA Administration in my area. Like I said, I have been fighting this battle for 25 yrs now. I am not a quitter so, I have made myself a promise not to quit fighting them until I die.

I still have spells where I suddenly stop breathing in the middle of the night or even in the day time while setting up watching television. It does not matter whether I am half asleep or fully awake it still happens. I still cannot ride in cars or watch flickering pictures on television without having nausea.

My eyes are still sensitive to bright lights or sun shine outside nor, can I spen myself in a circle in the middle of the living room floor without extreme nausea comming upon me. I also cannot move my eyes in their socker and look way up or way down without dull pain and nausea. So, I keep my head steady and move my head around to look without moving my eyes.

I have too many complaints to mention on this board so I will call it a night.

C Akers

Closed Thread