It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
(male)

hobbes116 HB User
Sickness and bowel issues

I've had anxiety/panic disorder for a while now. I more or less got rid of it a few years ago, but now it has returned. It started with bowel issues. Cramps, diarrhea, irregular movements and such. Like always I went to the doctor. We went through all the tests ...... even a colonoscopy. Everything came back normal except lactose intolerance.... which I already knew. Now I feel sick all the time. I worry and throw up sometimes. I think this may have started from stress possibly. I'm always exhausted and never feel like doing anything. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: Sickness and bowel issues

Are you on meds? Cause when I started meds, I was having those kind of problems, too. Also, when I was hyperthyroid, I had really terrible bowel issues. Do you have any kind of hormonal issues?

Shakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
(male)

hobbes116 HB User

I am on lexapro and xanax, but the issues started before I started the meds. I don't have hormonal issues that I know of. I feel the stress quite often though. Could stress have brought this on?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

I really don't know much about this issue, however after doing a bit of research, I found that a high percentage of people with irritable bowel syndrome also have some sort of anxiety/panic/social anxiety disorder. Have you been checked for IBS? Hopeful others can be of more help.

Edited to add:
What kind of diet are you on? For people with psychological disorders, a healthy diabetic-type diet (reduced simple carbs, lots of complex carbs and good fats and protein) can make a world of difference in your digestive track.

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 09-01-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
(female)

philly1 HB User

Yes stress is one of the causes of ibs. Dont dispair because I have it 3 years and it took me that long to realise that its all down to my diet. When I got that in order i decided to deal with the stress, i have been going for cognitive behavoural therapy and its fantastic it costs 55 euros for an hourly session. Its amazing the issues that you dont even know are there, but now I feel great.
Hope its of some help.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

I've been having the same sorts of issues - but I've also been having burning pain and nausea in my upper abdomen. It's scares me so bad. I just keep thinking it's something horrible.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
(male)

hobbes116 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My diet is lactose free and I try to limit the gluten. I have been through tests, but IBS can only be diagnosed through a precess of elimination. There is no direct test for it. I've been ruled out for most other things. Other than the bowel issues I just feel tired all the time. Even when I first wake up in the morning. It makes work very hard. Kind of feels like your coming down with something all the time even though I don't. I've lost almost all ambition and motivation to do anything. This worries and stresses my wife out. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
(female)

brandnew1 HB User

hi there. i understand what you are going through. i have similar feelings, especially after i eat. a few years ago, in college, i started making myself vomit - thinking this was the only way to solve my stomach issues. i would feel so sick after i eat and i would feel better after getting rid of the food. when i went to the dr. they couldn't understand how i would think that would help (even though i did) and said it was probably an anxiety disorder. have been working through GAD by taking some meds when i get these stomach problems - i take .5 mg of klonopin. have you tried to talk to your dr. about any medications? i also have had the tiredness. my ex boyfriend always told me i was the most tired person he knew. i think it has helped me. it's probably our bodies being so tired of our stomachs churning!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User

Hello, i've been having the same problems as you. For a year now anxiety levels have increased in my body and i've noticed that i've had irregular bowel movements, more frequent diarrhea and some cramps. I also went through a colonoscopy last year and didin't found a thing.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi,

For me bowel issues have always been a part of stress/anxiety. I also developed some digestive problems 2 years ago, that kind of went away when I controlled the anxiety with meds.

As for the tiredness; also a classic symptom of anxiety. I also felt exhausted all the time and I think it's because anxiety burns a lot of energy and that constant being on edge is really tiring.

For me, medication works, thank God. Otherwise, I would be in a constant state of anxiety, hypochondria, fatigue etc.

Anyways, good luck.

best,

c

Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
(female)

philly1 HB User

The things I avoid in my diet are wheat, dairy, coffee, all sweets, cakes in fact it was the sugar in my diet that I discovered was giving me serious mood swings. It became unbearable and when I gave up the sugar even fruit I noticed a hugh difference. As they say i was like a donkey on the edge all the time. My doc wanted to put me on anti depressants last January but they did'nt agree with me thankfully. Since then I discovered that my main problem was sugar. We all have moody days but for me now its not the norm.

Closed Thread