It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

emerald0909 HB User
What is CBT

New here I am 27 Im on Lorazapam how ever you spell it I am getting better but at a stand still losinglittle hope I have been going through this since march well actually i have had axeitey fro as long as i can remember b ut never like this i have a few questions 1. what is CBT I am totaly clueless I can't find a straight answer anywhere what is it how does it work 2. if not the same as the first one has anyone ever used the cds or tape about getting ove anxiety whle you sleep i think they are agood idea wnted to know what other pople thought or if they had tried them
thanks

Old 08-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User
Re: What is CBT

Short answer:

CBT stands for cognitive behavioral therapy. The theory behind it is that our thoughts, emotions, and behavior are all linked and when one is disturbed, then it affects the other two.

For example, if you do poorly on a school test, you may think, 'I'm so stupid.' According to CBT, your emotions and behavior will follow that thinking, possibly creating depression (emotion) and poor study habits (behavior).

CBT is a form of psychotherapy devised to discover whatever maladaptive emotions or behaviors or thoughts you have so it can correct the genesis source, whereby correcting the other linking factors that affect your mental health.

It is a form of therapy that is highly regarded in the industry.

Edited to add:
Psychotherapy will yield the best results from a professional. The self-help books and tapes, while good, cannot match the experience and feedback from an interacting professional. JMO.

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 08-31-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread