It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Fear of Eating Alone...How Do I Cope?

I find myyself stricken with this phobia the last three years...a sudden onset of choking. Before, I could eat anything from steak to carrot with ease; now I am buying food processors to chop them up.

This onset was brought about when I suddenly started choking on meat 3 times in one month...or maybe once a week. Since then, I just cannot get pass that feeling. Going out to dinner has become a nervous occassion...my eyes go directly to soft foods like fish & mash potatos.

There are times w hen I feel this bitter taste in the back of my throat, that almost feels like a "blockage" of some sort after a while. And then it does go away.

But this is ridiculous. People are thinking I'm a picky eater but I'm not. I went to do an esophogram, which came out normal. But I still have trouble. I do feel like I'm swallowing unchewed food, but I was told everyone swallows some unchewed food during eating anyway. But what is going on? Is it just a phobia now? Anything liquid or even yogurt/ice cream is no problem. When will I eat a sandwhich again?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

LocaJoker HB User
Re: Fear of Eating Alone...How Do I Cope?

I never eat when Im alone...I get scared I might choke. I used to just eat soft food but I got bored and am starting to eat more solid foods, just chew it well, dont think about eating it and swallow. Hopefully you will get over this, let temptation get the better of you just one time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
(male)

Tim 007 HB User

haha, this exact same thing happened to me in middle school. I was at a camp trip and nearly choked on a large pretzel. It took me a couple weeks to get over it. Sounds like you have a phobia, and suffering from anxiety. Anxiety can cause less saliva production which contributes to the strange taste in your mouth, some evidence leads to actual changes to saliva make up during stress. It can also constrict muscles in your throat making it difficult to swallow. It's been a while since posted this thread, if you're still feeling anxious about eating, go take a Heimlich Maneuver class. Bring people with you that you are around when eating, and maybe learn how to administer one to yourself? Goodluck to you, and let us know your progress.

Last edited by Tim 007; 09-22-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

dont feel bad i have it also
it took me so long to eat that now i only eat soft foods.have you lost wt from it?

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-22-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

I choked really badly whilst eating a jacket potato because I laughed about something at the same time as eating, and it was dry. Luckily I was eating with my parents but it's a horrible feeling, I was getting thoughts in my head as I was fighting for breath ''This is it I'm going to die!'', since then I find myself chewing for ages before swallowing because of the intense fear of it happening again.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

I've never seen a therapist, but they are there for you. I would suggest you give it a try. I know people who they have helped with a variety of emotional problems.
JB

Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
(female)

shmeeadiggle HB User

i dont have this problem but i can imagine how horrible you must feel. maybe try having a tall drink while you eat? you can take a big sip after you swallow each bite> it might help you eventually eat normally.

Closed Thread