It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
How do I deal with this?

Hi. This is my first time on this board. I'll get right to the point.

As I get older, I'm noticing more and more that I'm afraid of things that I didn't used to be afraid of. For instance, I have a fear of heights. This is probably the fear that's been with me the longest.

The last 3 or 4 years, I've noticed an increased feeling of needing to get out of certain situations FAST. I'm not entirely sure this is a fear but it almost feels like something worse. I used to love to go to the mall. Now I hate it. I can't deal with crouds of people without having a quick "out". I get very sweaty. I mean dripping sweat. I feel anxious and am constantly feeling freaked out. If I sit down and try to relax, I feel a bit better until I have to move again. And today, I was in a mall that had 3 stories. Almost everywhere I went, I was near where I could look down. Just knowing that sent me into a panic. I wanted to get out of there the minute I walked in. But I didn't because I brought my son there to get his mind off the fact that his best friend moved away this afternoon and he was feeling depressed. I tried to stay as long as I could and probably stayed longer than I should have. I began to feel like I was on the outside looking in. I don't know if that makes sense but it's the best way I know to discribe it. I got crabby with my son. My face turned beet red. I wanted to run as fast as I could to get out of there even if it meant knocking everyone over who was in my way. My face, hair and blouse were wet from sweat and my heart was racing. All I could think of was getting into the safety of my pickup truck and get far far away from where I was. Even going to the grocery store is beginning to do that to me.

Last Saturday, I met a few friends at a bar. We were celebrating a friend's birthday. I was so happy to be invited and was looking forward to it. But when Saturday came, I was looking for an "out". I did go. But instead of enjoying it, I spent the most part of the time trying to figure out how I was going to get out of there without hurting my friend's feelings.

Last June, we threw a graduation picnic for my son and I couldn't wait for everyone to leave. These were my family and my husbands, some of whom we haven't seen in years. This anxiety and panic attacks are getting worse. I don't know what to do.

I'm isolating myself more and more to avoid this fear. I don't want to be one who stays inside the house because of fear. But if I don't find a way to deal with this soon, I think that's what's going to happen.

Sometimes I think I'm going crazy....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: How do I deal with this?

Seems a bit like anxiety agrophobia. Or a serious fear of not being in control, which is awful. I think you need to talk to your Doctor and get some help, in maybe some therapy or if things ar ereally tough somemeds to get you over the worse bit. Go talk to someone and you will start to feel a bit better by just letting your feelings be known, then they as professionals can work out where to go from there. You are not going crazy you just seem to be having a tough time with stress right now. I know because i am too but with slightly different symptoms. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi Luv,
It looks like "panic attacks" you are having when being in crowds or in situations when you are afraid you may not be able to escape fast.
This is so usual that it is almost an everyday thing for doctors.
The good part is that you can get a grip on yourself with the help of a good professional who may prescribe medication to curb the worst of the symptoms, in order to give you time to control them yourself. He will also help you deal with the real psychological issues behind the panic.
Anxiety can be brought under control. I promise. Medication and therapy has helped me with a lot worse symptoms and I see not reason why someone should suffer like this and not try to do something about it. But you must have patience and faith in yourself that you can get better. AND YOU WILL.
Good luck

Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Thank you both for your replies.

I know it would benefit me to see someone. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance or the means to pay for help. I have issues I know I have to deal with, probably more issues than I'm aware of. I hate the fight or flight feeling. I know I'm missing out on so much that I used to love. And my son has missed out on quite a bit the last few years because of this too. He's 18 now and is very understanding with me but it's still put a strain on both of us. I'm sure it's affected my husband too.

I have a doctor at our county clinic that I see for my health issues. He's a GP. Do you think I might benefit from seeing him for this too?

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Your GP can prescribe some medication that can help you with this. You don't say how old you are but there are a lot of perimenopausal women who get anxiety as one of the symptoms. See your doc. Godbless

Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi,
I am back on this because of your question.
Yes, your GP can really help you.
It was my GP who first diagnosed the panic attacks, when everyone else thought I was constantly having gastroenteritis!!!
He also gave me my first medication which saw me through the really tough times. I still do see him even though I am seeing a psychiatrist as well.
So, do go and have a word with yours.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all so much for letting me know that I'm not crazy! I've never known anyone who has gone thru this so I felt very alone.

I will make an appt with my GP. He has to retest my thyroid anyway so I'll ask then.

Thank you again!

Love, Barb

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 09-05-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

Hello, Barb.

I haven't been on this board enough lately, but this thread kinda threw me into it because I am having the same problems.

You look forward to going out..then get scared as the time gets closer that you'll have a panic attack when you are out and not at home, or the safe place...home.

I went through this a few years ago, but they went away for reasons unknown, but now its back. Dont really know my point here except to let me rant and let you know that there are others out there with this problem..of all ages and sexes...Im 26 male.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I still have my suspicions that my anxiety could be related to the very beginning of menopause or peri pre menopause.

Topped of with high stress levels too i think. Otherwise every one giong through menapause would have anxiety attacks.

Closed Thread