It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
(male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User
Unhappy So how was YOUR evening?

Hi everyone

So after a month of medical tests (colonoscopy, CT-Scan, etc) lots of stress and anxiety and finally being told that my results were normal, I came home relieved and decided to "celebrate" with a case of beer.

As the evening wore on I was feeling better and better. My results for cancer (and other nasty things) had come back negative, I was relaxing with a beer and feeling just great.

Then a HUGE storm came through. It sounded like the earth was cracking in two. My dog is terrified of storms so as I'm sitting there wallowing in beer and watching videos, suddenly I hear this clawing, scraping and chewing and right away I knew what was happening. My dog was going berserk.

I did everything I could (humanely of course) to calm him down and prevent him from chewing up my house but he was hysterical and slipped out of his collar and continued chewing and running around frantically as the thunder and lightening clashed all around him (it was VERY loud!).

Finally, I tried to lead him to where I thought he would feel safe and quiet and he was rearing up and struggling like a wild stallion and at some point I got bitten on the leg. This is the nicest, quietest dog I have ever had (I've had him for two years) but he gets this way whenever we have a thunderstorm. I'm still very hurt and shocked that my own dog bit me and I'm having serious trust issues with him now and having a very difficult time getting over it. Imagine if your best friend suddenly punched you one day. Thats how I felt. Betrayed. He didn't actually lunge at me, snarl or "attack" me. It was more of a scared, defensive bite because he was terrified and I was trying to restrain him when all he wanted to do was "run away" from the thunder and lightening.

So anyway, he is up to date on his rabies shots, a mostly indoors dog and is a very healthy and normal dog. Still, I suffer from Hypochondria, anxiety and panic attacks so the next thing I know, I'm online researching "rabies" and "tetanus" and looking at scary pictures, calling the vet and posting like crazy on dog forums. Everyone told me that I had nothing to worry about at all except that I needed to keep the wound clean and yet my anxiety went through the roof over the coming days. Every muscle twitch...every bodily sensation...anything would send me into panic mode. The panic would come in waves as if someone had given me an injection of pure adrenalin. My heart would race, I'd get the lump in my throat and start swallowing a lot, feeling like I couldn't breath, etc. Not even a Ativan would touch it.

So last night I turned to an old "freind" for help. Beer. What a mistake that was. This morning I woke up with out-of control anxiety, multiple panic attacks and so I took a whole Ativan and an Atenolol and was finally (but just barely) able to get the symptoms under control. I still feel like a wreck.

So how was YOUR evening?...

- Regards, Steven45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: So how was YOUR evening?

Hi Steven!
You seem to have had a really "nice time". I hope you are now more in control.
The scary thing about panic attacks is that they happen out of the blue and have a mind of their own. I had such an attack the other day, because I was told that I had to take a small doze of statins to control my cholesterol, which seems to be hereditary and has nothing to do with diet or exercise! I felt as thought the doc had given me a life sentence...!
But I am really happy today. My shrink is ...coming back from holidays after a whole month of absence, when I really felt my anxiety cripping up and my stress levels soaring!!! So, I am planning to have a massive vent this afternoon and hope to get my persective untagled once again.
Good luck with you too!
Take care of yourself!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

brandnew1 HB User

this is interesting. i often get really bad panic attacks when i drink alcohol as well. is this the first time you got one? how soon after going to bed did you wake up with the anxiety?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

noelsgig HB User

For me i notice when i go to bed after a night of "Drinking" i wake up as soon as the "Buzz" wears off. I become restless, can't sleep, and have shortness of breathe. And then the entire next day I do notice an increase in my anxiety..moods.

I use to drink a lot and was not until i slowed down that i noticed what it actually does to me an my anxiety. Yes, when out in public and anxious drinking helps..but it also contributes to all the other anxiety baggage.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Do you know that the vet can prescribe tranqs for the dog. Luckily my dog just goes under the desk and shivers and quakes. I would definitley try the tranqs for the dog. It is odd what sets off each persons anxiety. Godbless

Closed Thread