It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
(male)

n9ne HB User
Can you make yourself have symptoms?

I cant remember what this is called..but like if you think you have a brain tumor or something wrong with your brain your head will start hurting..like your chemical balance becomes messed up and your brain acts in a different way. Isnt this true?

Last edited by n9ne; 09-04-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Can you make yourself have symtoms?

I think the power of the mind is very strong, and can make you feel like you are having symptoms. But with something like a brain tumour, you would have lots of symptoms other than just a headache, so i wouldnt worry too much. If you are very concerned go along to the Doctor and get them to check you out and reassure you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi N,
Are you talking about anxiety symptoms?
If you are , YES you can actually make yourself feel anxious or sweaty and have your heart starting to race if you think about these things long enough and you are prone to anxiety. It is like when you are watching a scary film. You mind thinks the images you are seing are real situations and actually feels the fear to some degree.
So, do not read or talk about symptoms in any detail to avoid unpleasant results.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
(female)

mandy26 HB User

Hi N9ne,
I think what you're referring to are psychosomatic symptoms/disorders. Basically, if your physical ailments seem to have to other reasonable physiological cause, and stem from emotions like anxiety, anger, guilt, etc (all of which are very common w/ both anxiety and depression), these physical ailments are often classified as psychosomatic. It is just the brain's chemistry and resulting emotions causing actual, physical ailments. I doubt a brain tumor would fall under this category though.

During my first major episode of depression/anxiety, many years ago, I swore up and down that I was sick with something... all signs pointed towards mono. Upon much testing and many doctors appointments, it was determined that I was sick, but with "a mono-like syndrome". In other words, it wasn't mono physiologically, even though I displayed almost all the symptoms. When they put it all together that I was also suffering from anxiety and depression, they explained that my mind caused all these physical symptoms.

Take care.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
(male)

n9ne HB User

Thanks for the replys..Psychosomatic I remember that now...yeah its like I think i have something wrong with my brain...and my head feels weird all the time...I've had a CT done which was normal..but now i think well CTs dont show everything..i could still have a aneruysum or something..it just continues...I really think to get fully over this ima have to get a MRI

Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MRI's and CT scans, do NOT miss much i can tell you.

But i know how you feel. You become such a doubting Thomas its unreal. But its all about confidence self esteem, and trust. Work on those and you will stop worrying so much about serious illnesses.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

n9ne......I don't watch medical shows or read symptoms of illnesses on the web because I can conjure up those symptoms in no time . It's crazy The power of the mind is awesome!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dont I know it !!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Sorry for bumping this but after going through some pages on here THIS is exactly how i feel and am worrying myself to death thinking i have a brain tumor! I know i had a bad headache and wasn't thinking this when i first got a symptom ( was working out and got a really sharp headache) since then i have felt what seems like 'after shock' pains in the area. I'm constantly pressing on my head, feel some strain on my eye and feel around and feel pain there also. My doctor said i'm probably causing pains by prodding around on my head :P Thing is they aren't pains that make me need to lay down or feel like something is terribly wrong. Just feels weird by my right ear and the right side of the top of my head. Called a neurologist today to make an appointment just for peace of mind and see whats up. Thing is they are booked until October 12th!!! So i'm going to be thinking this and driving myself crazy until then! I told the secretary my symptoms and i guess she didn't think it was that much of an emergency?!? All the other places i called don't accept my insurance! Should i just go to the hospital ER so they can test me right then and there? would they give me a CT scan or would they just put it off too and refer me to a neurologist! Just thinking something in my brain may explode by then. What am i supposed to do? wait until that happens?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Yeah I had a brain tumor..least I really believed so......many years ago when this anxiety crap started.I went to bed with a headache and woke with one and tons of other weird symptoms popping out.I lived disoriented and headachy (amoung other symptoms) for at least a year day in and out.Went from doctor to doctor.A neurologist had a CT scan with the dye done.Two neurologist looked it over and both said nothing abnormal was there.This did ease my mind to a degree but I told myself the same dang thing "what if?" I can tell you it was all a waste of time.I kept myself in misery because I just would not believe anxiety and stress could make me feel so bad...it can 14 yrs later and I can say I have felt so many different things through the years and most were attributed to anxiety.I know it is hard especially when your symptoms mimic bad things almost or to a T but just know it IS very possile.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 09-18-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
(female)

stimi3ak HB User

My anxiety makes me believe there is a tightness in my chest and I can't breathe well. It started as horrible GERD and IBS and then went into this breathing issue. Now I am obsessed with my breathing and the doctor's have all said I am fine. In fact I had a procedure done last week where I was sedated and in my sedation I started telling everyone that I felt great. That none of my symptoms were present. And I've noticed while I"m sleeping I do not feel this way either. It is only once I awaken and think about my day the fun begins all over again.

The mind is very powerful and your thoughts can become a self fullfilling prophecy. I'm trying to get better and have started meditating. I'm also on medication. Hopefully my mind will begin to get positive and I'll have a better outlook on my health.

Closed Thread