It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Any help please!!

I post here regularly and as some will know i take 20mg Prozac daily for anxiety or air hunger attacks, which are daily and frequent.

Been on Prozac now for 6 weeks, dont think theres much change in my air hunger attacks.

The Doctor says its a rush of adrenaline that makes me like this...

So i was wondering if maybe i should take on "an as and when basis" beta blockers. they are supposed to block a surge of adrenaline arnt they? Valium doesnt work for me anymore, so i was wondering if this may be the way to go, while im getting therapy to get over this and not have to use any meds at all.

Any ideas?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

Jilldev HB User
Re: Any help please!!

What is an "air hunger attack"? I have a wierd feeling come over me when I am full of anxiety and worrry, which I happen to be experiencing for the past few weeks, and I don't really know how to explain it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

An air hunger attack, is a feeling of shortness of breath, usually caused by anxiety.

i feel like i cant get a full chest of air in and that i have to keep doing it to do so. Thats an air hunger attack and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

Jilldev HB User

Well then I have had that before - recently. I'm filled with anxiety and fears lately. I posted earlier this mroning under "Am I crazy or what" - I worry about my health and every little scratch or mark I can't explain constantly. I drive myself nuts. I have to do something - when I'm at work I'm pretty much okay because my mind is occupied for the most part, but other times, I just can't control where my mind goes, and then of course the power of the mind causes it to feel like real symptoms and I feel myself heading towards a panic attack. I don't know what to do. I don't like meds - did that once and didn't like it at all.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

stimi3ak HB User

I have air hunger attacks daily sometimes 3-5 hours per day. I have them because I do not breathe right and I have a hiatal hernia. I have them because my anxiety is so bad a loud noise makes my heart rate go up to 177 (I am not making that up) and my body shake for a few minutes. I fear running out of breath and that spurs my anxiety even more.

Have you tried meditation? I recently started it and the 45 minutes I do this daily is the best 45 minutes of my day. I have clarity and a normal breathing pattern. It is not until I reenter the real world that I notice my breathing takes on an abnormal rhythm again. I notice that all things aggitate me and the more aggitated I get the worse my breathing gets. Stress also causes it to get worse.

I'm also on 50 mg of Zoloft which in the past has always helped me. I just started it up again because I had been symptom free for months until all my anxiety started up again.

At night I spend about 30 minutes unwinding by watching my favorite show "house hunters" on hgtv. I have DVR so I record all episodes and save them for night time.

After that I journal for 15 minutes and then go to sleep. If all that does not help me I have an electronic NY Times crossword puzzler with a lit LCD screen that I will play in the dark until sleep overtakes me. That helps my mind go elsewhere which calms me down.

If you ever need someone to talk to about air hunger attacks I would be more than happy to do that. I thought I was alone in this and have only heard a few other people who have that same symptom.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

No your not alone in Air hunger, im amazed at how many people suffer from it....

But you cannot meditate all day and every day , so if your stress starts again when you enter the real world, what really is the point?

I think we all have to get to the root of what causes it and deal with it once and for all..

Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
(male)

mosesport HB User

It's weird seeing someone else post about this. I had myself convinced I had asthma. I've never had it before, so I'd see no reason for it to start. I feel like I can't get a full breath for a really long time, so I start to get light-headed from taking in so many deep breaths. So other people have this too?? I'm curious as to how common this actually is...I thought I was alone.

.moses.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Moses,
Lots of people have this shortness of breath, or inability to get what i term a full breath in. Ive had it on and off for years, but because ive been more stressed recently its become much worse.

If you read any of my posts in the anxiety forum, this condition is duscussed. Go take alook, it may help you with information as to what help you may want to get.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
(male)

mosesport HB User

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

.moses.

Closed Thread