It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Beta Blockers

Does taking beta blockers stop the rush of adrenaline that accompanies anxiety attacks?

Was wondering if they might help me with these attacks of shortness of breath i get daily. Doctor says its not classical panic attacks, just anxiety attacks. So i was wondering if that may curb the rush of adrenaline and therefore stop these horrible episodes.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
(female)

donna_sue4 HB User
Re: Beta Blockers

I take a beta-blocker and I also have severe panic attacks. The beta-blocker does not stop the rush of adrenaline with my panic attacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

what does it do then? because Prozac doesnt stop my attacks either, i dont really know why im taking them

Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

donna_sue4 HB User

It helps keep my heart from racing. I read on some other threads where it did help others with their adrenaline rush. Are you calling a fast heart rate an adrenaline rush? Cause for me, they are two different things. This really weird feeling rushes over me first. That's what I call my adrenaline rush, then my heart starts to race. Now I will say that since I have been on the beta-blocker my heart doesn't race for as long at a time as it did before.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mine isnt about heart palps

I get this feeling that builds up into me sighing and constantly yawning to get a full breath in. I dont know whether thats adrenaline really. But Prozacs not really working, so i thought id enquire about beta blockers. But doc says i dont have classic panic attacks just these anxiety attacks with one symptom, shortness of breath, and the need to get a full deep breath in far too often.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

did you read up on prozac? maybe thats the problem

Old 09-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

kendra2985 HB User

I haven't tried Beta Blockers, but I also get very bad panic attacks. If I feel an attack coming on I take Klonopin. It's not my favorite remedy because I end up feeling really out of it for hours afterwards but its better than going to the ER every 2 months because I think I am dying. My boyfriend however is on Beta Blockers and Alpha Blockers. He does not have anxiety but high blood pressure and Atrial fibrillation which causes his heart to contract irregularly... this is where the beta comes in.

I do know that in Los Angeles, doctors often give Beta blockers to actors suffer from Stage fright... don't ask me why a doctor out there told me this, but he did. So I would assume it works on Adrenaline... but try Klonopin... that kicks in real fast.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
what does it do then? because Prozac doesnt stop my attacks either, i dont really know why im taking them
no sense in taking something that doesnt help.waste of money.however should always have a good heart and thyroid check up and more before blaming it on aniexty

Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

i was having these attacks before i started Prozac. I was under a cardiologist last year and there si absolutely nothing wrong with my heart. Also had a thyroid function test done in last year and thats ok too. My Doctor said the Prozac will get rid of the shortness of breath, in time but i think 6 weeks is long enough for it to start working now .

Closed Thread