It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Cancer Anxiety

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone out there has anxiety about one day getting cancer? I am tired of this interfering in my life - I spend time researching, doctor shopping, etc., when I could be spending that time with my husband and kids! I decided to see a psychologist who specializes in anxiety (had my first visit yesterday) - I did click with him and have 3 more appts. scheduled - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

Jilldev HB User
Re: Cancer Anxiety

I worry about my health constantly - cancer being one of the things I worry about. I don't know why I am like this - you name it, I've worried about it. Read my other post "am I crazy or what" and you'll see how I worry and over, over worry. It all started when a friend of mines daughter died two months ago - she was 36 and dropped over from a heart attack - so I started thinking about life and have just downspiraled from there. Do you really feel the psychologist was helpful? I am on the internet researching symptoms, etc., all the time and am at my wits end with anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

You really need to stop going on the internet to do research. That is one place the internet is a problem.

You need to maybe go to the Doctors and tell them your worries, they are the professionals and if need be they will give you the right information and treatment.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

To JillDev -

As I mentioned in my post, I just had my 1st appt. with the psychologist yesterday - my first impression of him was positive - (at the 1st visit, it's basically getting all my information, why I'm there, etc.) so I haven't had a chance to really start working with him - from your post, if I were you, I would find a psychologist in your area who specializes in anxiety - I am on Effexor and feel it's really helped me but I think that I need therapy in addition to the meds.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

To Worrybucket -

Thanks - I know you're right - I've been told in the past that sometimes too much info is a bad thing for people who obsess and worry - I think I just look for reassurance - thanks!

supermom3

Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
(female)

Jilldev HB User

That was what IWas on a few years back (same anxiety then too - crazy, I know) and I didn' tlike the way I felt on it - so I cold turkeyed it and felt awful for a week. I never went back becauseI thought I could handle on my own - apparently anxiety never goes away - I would feel so stupid telling a psychologist all this - I'd be afraid he or she would think I'm losin it. I should make that my goal for monday - find someone and make an appointment. Thanks. It's hard for me to talk about all of this = I don't know where else to go besides this board. Feels good to chat with people having anxiety issues like myself.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
(female)

marnb77 HB User

Jilldev & Supermom3,
I have been fearing cancer since i was 9 yrs old and I am now 30 and still can't stop obsessing about it. So far, I have had every cancer there is, and researching on the net only makes me so much more panic stricken. I have been on a bunch of different meds but have found that effexor, klonopin and seroquel have worked for me, as of now. I hate that this consumes my life but it does. I was thinking about trying cognitive behavioral therapy to see if i can stop worrying, so i'm going to look into it. It's nice to find people I can talk to on these boards. Hope you are all having a good night.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
(female)

lin14534 HB User

I am so worried about cancer all the time. Every test I have (just routine physical, mammo, etc.) I am constantly worried that results will come back positive for cancer. It's hard not to worry when all you hear is cancer all around us. Friends at work being diagnosed with some form of it, girlfriends and relatives being diagnosed after going in for routine mammos, etc...all I can think of is "I'm next". I cry myself to sleep some nights before a routine test knowing for sure the dr is going to give me some bad news. It is so frightening!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

To Marn and Lin,

Hang in there! I believe the psychologist I started seeing Thursday is going to go in that direction for me (cbt or cognitive behavioral therapy) - as far as I'm concerned, those of us with anxiety cannot help we're this way - we don't purposely do this - therapy and meds are nothing to be embarassed about! Good luck to both of you - I hear your frustration as far as consuming your life - I have a great husband and 3 awesome kids and I feel they deserve a better wife and mother (not one who's pre-occupied with this crap (sorry!) all the time!

take care!
supermom3

Old 09-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

To JillDev -

Finding a psychologist who is familiar and/or specializes in anxiety would be a great idea! I just wish I would have thought of it sooner! Keep in touch and remember you're not alone!

supermom3

Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
(female)

Jilldev HB User

If I may ask, what is cognitive behavioral therapy? What do they do?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Good question! I just had my 1st appt last Thursday, so I'll find out more - I think there's probably info on the internet - take care!!!

supermom3

Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

JillDev.

I started CBT three weeks ago. Ive had 3 sessions so far.

For me its a meeting for just over an hour a week with my Therapist, who asks me how ive been the previous week and we work on any problems ive had. I'ts the most complicated therapy ive had in that there are some complex rules to learn. She draws these charts for me and tells me i have to go away study them and recognise when im having an anxiety attack and where it all fits in. I have to write a daily diary, whether i feel ok on that day or not. Most importantly i have to rate how im feeling through the day between 1 and 10 out of 10.

CBT in a nutshell pretty much teaches you to face your fears head on, bit scary, but they believe that by making yourself familiar with your bad feelings, and going and getting through them, obviously not dying, it de -sensitises your thought process when you have panic attacks. Sorry its quite new to me, but so far this is what im learning on how it does work.

I dont know if it going to work, but its definetely making me less scared when i do have a panic attack, it makes me think it'll be ok i wont die, just let it happen. The learning process is very difficult though, it requires a lot of attention until you are up and running with putting your skills into practice. My therapist jokes i will take her job by the time ive learnt it all !!

Go look it up, yes , and if you and/or your Doctor thinks it may be suitable for your condition, give it a try. My theory is i will try anything if it will make me come out of this nightmare once and for all.

Best of luck

Last edited by Worrybucket; 09-09-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Closed Thread