It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

MattyO87 HB User
paxil question, please someone.

hey how y'all doing, I'm hoping someone can give me a few words of encouragment and advice, I've been suffering with horrible generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, agorophobia, obessive thinking for over a year now, I finally had enough of it the other day and went to my doctor and told him about it, because its hereditary and runs in my family and he has treated my father over the years, anyway, he prescriped me 10 mg of Paxil daily to see if that would help ease a lot of the worries and get my life back on track, but anyway, needless to say with all my ANXIETIES i'm scared to take the medication because of all the bad side effects and things I've heard about SSRI anti depressants, my parents are like begging me to take it for my own good so I can get better, and they sware that I'll be fine when I take it, my father has taken Prozac for at least 15 years or more and swares that antidepressants are saviors, so please, can someone who has taken the drug let me know that it's not as bad as it seems and has a lot of upside to it rather then downsides, someone please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
(female)

Amber81499 HB User
Re: paxil question, please someone.

Paxil has worked really well for me. At first they put me on 20 mg and it made a big difference. The side effects were not an issue. Remember those side effects are written as a very general warning. They can have those side effects but everyone's body reacts differently so you may never experience a single one of them. Just give it a try. Remeber this is you trying to take control over the anxiety and not letting the anxiety control you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
(male)

MattyO87 HB User

thanks a lot Amber for your support, I appreciate it very much, and you do make a very good point about the side effects, so Paxil really helped you get control back of your life? did you use therapy as well or did Paxil really help you in a matter of a month or so to start doing well with your symptoms? Hopefully some other people can tell me their experiences with Paxil on here as well, hoping I can hear from y'all, thanks.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

Dawn B. HB User

I was put on Paxil 7 yr. ago for extreme anxiety. It worked very well for me, never had a side effect. HOWEVER, April this year it stopped working. I have now learned that this is very common with all SSRIs, and people often switch when this happens. What the don't tell you is Paxil is the WORST SSRI to get off of. It's extremely addictive, and has severe withdrawls from coming off of it. I have been dealing with this since April. I tried switching med, but was always extremely jittery, most likely due to stopped the Paxil.
Also, for the last 3 years I've been sick more than not with colds and flu, and now I have found out that Paxil is linked to infection, flu, and a host of other things. I want off it now. I'm weaning, but can't be off it soon enough. Even though it stopped working, if I cut the dose to quickly, I get withdrawls!
If you are going to take a med, take something other than Paxil. I know a few people that have taken Celexe or Cymbalta and stopped with no big problem.
Dawn <><

Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
(male)

MattyO87 HB User

yeah i keep hearing that, that just all around the bad side effects, sexual, and A LOT of other scary ones, and yeah the withdrawal thing I've heard about Paxil, why is it just with Paxil and not with Prozac or Zoloft, I don't understand that, it's weird, but here's the thing, as I said i'm only gonna take 10 mg daily if i even decide to take it, if some people on here can convince me its ok, ha, so do you think with only 10 mg it'll be as hard to get off? anyway, some more comfort from more people would be highly appreciated.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
(male)

Inferit HB User

Hi Matty,

I never took Paxil before but I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

About a week ago I was prescribed Pexeva (generic Paxil) 10mg/day for 30 days. But like you, I have been scared to try the med because of all the horror stories I have read about. It seemed like I would read 10 bad reviews about Paxil to 1 good review.

I got to thinking and honestly if the meds worked for me I don't think I would care to write a good review about it on the web. But if it didn't work, I think I would add my .2 cents on the web about it. So maybe this is why when we search Paxil all we see is mostly horror stores. *shrugs*

SSRIs react different to everyone, we might not have any of the side effects from it. I say just try it and if you don't like it, quit. Just try to give it some time to kick in though. As for me, I think I will try 1/2 the dose my doc prescribed me for a couple weeks before I taking the full recommended dose.

Anyways, good luck keep us informed

Last edited by Inferit; 09-10-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Removed/replaced banned word. If a word comes up like this *** in your post that word is banned on this website.

Closed Thread