It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

ryleetn HB User
heart palps...please read

I have been sitting here at work since about 2:30 and I am having these random heart palps, I have had Palps in the past but not for this long of a period. It is not constant just off and on. But it is beginning to scare me. I am not sure if it is stress related or what. I have been under some extra stress the last few days but I always seem to be stressed out and I drink alot of caffiene but that dosen't tend to cause them. Today is my first day back at work too after 3 days off. Just wondering if anyone else has had them this long and if I should be worried?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User
Re: heart palps...please read

I just posted something about heart palpitations. They usually aren't anything to worry about, but they are annoying and they are a cause for concern. If you have a family doctor, I would definitely call him or her and talk about it. Ask if you need a stress test.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Heart palpitations can be a symptom of an overactive thyroid gland so if they persist have a blood test to check your thyroid function.
Take care
Jenni

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-10-2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
(male)

cc123 HB User

I sometimes get this....
They come and go as they please. A few weeks back I had them at 1 period in the day where it would last for 10-30 mins then go away, then as if by magic they stop for a few weeks then come back again.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi!
I get them after prolonged periods of acute stress. Once they appear I take it as a sign to slow down. Then they sort of disappear.
At first, I was also worried and had all sorts of heart tests to put my mind at ease. In the end it was all to do with stress. But if I were you I would also go see my doctor . He may give you some med to help you with stress until you learn to control it yourself. Excess caffein also produces palpitations to a lot of people.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
(female)

amg250 HB User

I too have a history of palps. A few weeks ago, I had them almost constantly for three days straight. Not just the skipped beats, but fluttery ones, and slurred ones -- literally every 5-10 seconds. There were no other symptoms but after a while you just get so worn out -- like having hiccups all day. Had an EKG which was fine. Doctor keeps telling me they are benign, that they are just like muscle twitches. They just went away as fast as they came a few days later. I'm a 51 year old female and palps are a very common symptom of perimenopause. I do everything right (no caffeine, no stress, no cold meds, etc) and they still come and go with no rhyme or reason. If you've had an EKG and everything seems OK, I'd try not to worry about it. When mine get crazy, I lie down for a while and do some deep breathing. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. For some reason, I don't feel them all night, so at least I get a good nights sleep, but they will start up again as soon as I wake up and move around. It's scary but I've learned to live with them. Hopefully, things will calm down when the hormone changes are done.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

MamaToThree HB User

This has been happening to me for the last week, but suddenly just as quickly as they came on, they seem to have stopped...or have at least slowed down. I was having fluttering or what felt like a stopped beat and then a SLAM beat that I could feel in my throat! This was happening about 3 to 4 times per minutes....for almost 7 days straight! It was really scary. I walked around with a holter monitor for a day (still waiting for those results), but an in office EKG was normal (the print out was only about a 20 second sample! Jeez.) I have also recently gone on zoloft for mild stress and anxiety (I'm a mom to 3 babies under 3!) and maybe it's a coincidence, but that's when I noticed they began to slow down and stop. My PCP also prescribed me Xanax and told me to use it if I was feeling overwhelmed and needed to relax. That tells me it's stress related. I also have stopped drinking caffeine, but I only drank about 2 to 3 cups of coffee in the a.m. and RARELY drink caffeinated sodas. But I've noticed with all of these things that they have stopped. I'm about to have an echo and hopefully between that and the holter info. maybe we'll know more. The paternal side of my family all died from heart complications before they were 60. I just turned 40, so this is very, very scary for me.

You should definitely have as many tests done on your heart that you can to rule everything out. Good luck!

Closed Thread