It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
(male)

spurs279 HB User
How do you sleep?

I've had anxiety for about 4 months and it would only get bad at night every couple weeks. Well this last week, it's been bad every night but one. I'll feel fine when I'm in bed checking my email but as soon as I close my eyes to go to sleep the anxiety kicks in. It gets so bad that I can't even keep my eyes closed. I used to take .25mg of Xanax but that's not enough now. Last night for example I took .50mg which paired with anxiety, made me feel groggy and uneasy. I was eventually able to get tired enough (4am) where I fell asleep.

Can anyone recommend a way for me to avoid this? One thing I was thinking was to try sleeping in another room. Any ideas?

Last edited by spurs279; 09-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
(male)

mosesport HB User
Re: How do you sleep?

Maybe it's the email that's making it hard to sleep. The email, the email, what what the email. Have you ever tried Valerian Root? It's an all natural supplement you can get at any health food store and it's cheap. I've been taking it the past few nights and I've been sleeping like a baby. I take it about an hour before I'd like to go to bed. When my head hits the pillow, I'm out in 15 minutes or less...this coming from someone with the worst anxiety I've known. Hey, not everything works for everyone, but maybe this could help you. Also, if you smoke or drink caffeine, both aren't recommended for at least two hours before you plan to sleep. Hope this helps.

.moses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

stimi3ak HB User

Do you play internet games? I do that. Sometimes I get up at 2:30 am just to play a few if my mind won't rest. Bejeweled is a good one to zone out with. I have horrible anxiety so I know how you feel. My heart palps nonstop, I can't breathe and I'm shaky/scared for a long time. Internet games and my electronic times crossword puzzler are my two saving graces. The later has a lit LCD screen so I can play it in the dark. Do you have some whitenoise in your room like a fan? I have one of those too so there is a constant buzz which makes it easier for me. I also have to be very cold and everything needs to be organized for the following day. Sometimes I will take an ativan but mostly I have just cut out caffeine and afternoon naps.

I also have a sleep meditation cd that I uploaded to my ipod. The woman's voice puts me to sleep when all else fails.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
(male)

spurs279 HB User

Thanks for the help everyone. A lot of the time the anxiety will get so bad I can't even close my eyes or try to sleep so I get up and go online for an hour or so. I also don't drink caffeine or smoke so that's not a problem. I'm definitely going to try putting a fan in my room to quite my racing mind.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

jlewan01 HB User

I have tried everything! Whats works the best for me is 1mg klonopin at night and elemental magnisium 3 tsp (sp)? I have even tried ambien and lunesta and nothing!!
Hope this helps!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
(male)

Pickles Pig HB User

I know this is a cliche', but do you exercise? For me, I sleep much better now that I exercise. I do 1 hour of moderate cardio five times a week and I sleep as well as I ever have. It worked for me.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User

I've tried the 1 mg Klonopin as well as a Calcium/Magnesium supplement. I'm sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum. I get about 7 hours of sleep a night, I exercise fairly regularly (at least three times a week for 45 minutes at a time, work up a decent sweat) - but I can still fall asleep at the drop of a dime.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-14-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
(male)

spurs279 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles Pig View Post
I know this is a cliche', but do you exercise? For me, I sleep much better now that I exercise. I do 1 hour of moderate cardio five times a week and I sleep as well as I ever have. It worked for me.
I don't work out. Every time I try I get dizzy. I don't know if it's anxiety or something else. I'm getting a stress test in a couple weeks...that's a whole different problem.

Lately I've been taking .25mg of Xanax before I go to bed. It's not enough to make my anxiety a lot better but it's just enough to help me fall asleep.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
(female)

uncgal50 HB User

I am glad to read this. I have been having anxiety problems for about a month. When I "try" to sleep at night my body wakes up having the "jitters" as I call them. My mind is racing. Heart is fine. Just can't get my body to quit feeling like I'm about to get on a roller coaster. I am presently on zoloft 25mg. I am calling dr to see if I can go up to a whole tablet. This anxiety sucks. It came out of nowhere. I am worried about nothing except maybe now...if something physically is wrong with me. But have had colonoscopy, heart checkup 1 yr ago and a great physical in which the dr said I was "disgustingly" healthy for my age, 57. I take no meds. Who knows?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

xLilRedx HB User

This is going to sound really wierd...but NyQuil never fails me. I am on buspar and seroquel and i take that before bed along with a few sips of nyquil and im out in like 15 min. I also get thouse weird shake thingies when i wake up in the morning i thought i was having a seizure. But i dont care asbout that as long as i can get to bed. You could always try a shot of vodka lol j/k

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

For me it's 1g. melatonin ,2 advil and 1 kava kava. You can feel it kick in and then I'm out. There are also herbal sleep aids with valerian root that seem to work well. I'd try these first before I'd try a prescription sleep aid.
good luck...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
(male)

Tim 007 HB User

I would like to warn people to check online of drug interactions associated with the drug(s) you are mixing together. Certain medicines for colds (expecially cough syrup) contains chemicals you shouldn't mix with many medications for anxiety. I would feel leary about NyQuil... please check online for legitamate websites for info about the drugs you are taking. Even though chances of bad interactions are rare, BE CAUTIOUS!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-20-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
(female)

nancy1968 HB User

I use Slimply Sleep, No problems for the last year. Any over the counter sleep aid is the same thing. Ask your Doctor though.

Closed Thread