It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question can anyone tell me how to taper off of 1 mg xanax?

Hi All Im Just Wondering If Anyone Can Tell Me How To Taper Off Xanax I Take 1 Mg 3 Times A Day And I Want Off Them Asap If Possible But Slowly That Is ,i Dont Want To Be Depended On Them All My Life I Been On Them Since Feb 06 And I Want Off Because I Dont Want To End Up Getting Hooked And I Have Heard Where Once Your Off You Feel Tons Better I Took Them Because I Had Extreme Panic But Now I Dont Alls I Want Is To Try To Taper Off Slowly Till Im Off For Good A Friend Went Cold Turkey I Cant I Tried And The W/d's Were Horrible Do They Have Any Type Of Meds For W/d's While Tapering Off? See I Tried Taking 1 -0.5 Mg Of Xanax Once A Day And It About Killed Me I Couldnt Sleep Nor Eat And HAD HORRIBLE CHEST PAINS Is There Someone Out There That Can Tell Me How To Go About Tapering Off I Want Off So Bad ,because I Think They Are Causeing Me Where I Have No Energy I Take 1 Mg 3 Times A Day And I Feel Im Starting To Get Hooked See The Dr I Had Told Me To Take Them 3 Times A Day So I Did I Had No Idea What They Were For And Had No Idea They Were Addictive Im Not Sure If Im Addictive Or Not But I Dont Want To Be I Also Have Thyrold Illness And Can Someone Tell Me If Im Taking 3 A Day Would That Be Whats Causing Me Bad Headaches ?? MY WHOLE BODY HURT SO BAD I COULDNT STAND IT SO I WENT BACK ON THEM .
Any Help Would Be So Greatfull..
Thanks
Vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 09-11-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
(male)

mosesport HB User
Re: can anyone tell me how to taper off of 1 mg xanax?

Getting off Xanax is a VERY difficult process, speaking from experience. I've been trying to get off of it for over a year. Every time I think I'm done with it, I'll take one to curb a panic attack, and the process starts all over again. I would recommend cutting your dosage by a quarter once every week or two. DIfferent schedules work better for different people. Do what YOU'RE comfortable with. If you're on 3 mgs a day, try cutting it down to 2 and a half. Take your first one, then your second, then half of your third. Try that for a few weeks. If you can successfully do well on that, try taking 2mgs a day, but split it up evenly throughout the day so you're still taking it regularly. The problem with Xanax is it has a very short half life, so it leaves your system very quickly and withdrawals can start within a few hours depending on how much you usually take. The key here is ALWAYS take it slow. It takes some people over a year or more to completely rid their lives of Xanax. I know you're in a hurry to get off (I am too), but do go too fast or your body may not be able to handle it. I hope this has helped at least a little. Talk to your doctor if you're looking for something to substitute the Xanax with to help with withdrawals. Just don't substitute one benzo for another or the cycle will continue and it will be even harder to quit in the end. Stay true to yourself, and more importantly, be strong. There are tons of people here who will support you the whole way through.

.moses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread