It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
Why so afraid of meds?

I don't understand how I developed this fear of medicaiton. Not just antidepressants, but advil, antibiotics, anything pill form I have trouble taking.
It has become a real big problem for me. A problem I need to break if I plan on becoming pregnant soon. I guess its the fear of feeling "not in control" if it makes me feel funny, but I read all of the side effects and then I feel them. I know stupid move.
Does anyone have this problem? And what do you do to get over the fear of meds? I keep telling myself "whats the worst thing that will happen if I take a xanax when needed? But I still can't do it. Then I have anxiety over it for weeks. Ughh I just feel over whelmed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Re: Why so afraid of meds?

I am the same way. I use to be able to take anything up until about 7 years ago and i got this phobia of medication. I will only take tylenol, amoxicillian, and my ativan.........nothing else!!!! I dont like to take it then have side effects and not be able to make them stop. I just refuse to take anything i will suffer first. I wish i could get over this but i have tried and nothing works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I am also like this to a point.I used to be much worse as in I would not even take a tylenol thinking it may do some harm to me...silly I know.I still do not like taking anything unless I feel I just have to.I started Buspar ( an anti anxiety med which I just made a post about) yesturday and so far the tiredness is pretty hard to bare.I am trying to give it a decent chance though.Dubgurl as far as the Xanax you would be fine taking it when needed im sure.I think it would help you alot when anxiety is high.I wish my doctor would of prescribed me an as needed fast acting med but she would'nt ya know some are funny about that.I really don't know what broke me of some of my worries of taking pills I think it was just I felt so bad that I did'nt care what it took to make it stop.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
(male)

Pickles Pig HB User

Same boat here. Unfortunately, the doctors (I have seen) don't understand this is a symptom of my panic disorder. Being afraid to take meds is not like being uncooperative by my own volition. When they ask me why I won't take the pills, I reply because I am afraid. Then they act like it's a silly reason and offer no help to get over the fear. As the previous poster mentioned, I wonder if it will come down to this; me not caring what happens, so I take the pills as a last resort. That's kind of a terrible way to get myself to take the pills-not caring what happens to me. If you figure out a way to beat the fear, please post it! Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you get the courage to try them. You're not alone

Last edited by Pickles Pig; 09-14-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
(male)

pantz HB User

Try asking for a liquid form, i was the same over Anti - depressents - i'd take one and within 30mins i was drugged to the eye balls which was rubbish as its not even in my system, i recently started liquid prozac and found that somehow as i'm not taking a tablet i don't get those 30min side effects.....

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thanks guys! Its so hard some days I feel like I "can do this" Then I chicken out. LOL I know its silly, I mean you never hear on the news someone died from taking medicaitons, so I am trying to pinpoint the reason I developed this fear.
Maybe it was because my mother got all screwed up for years on prescription meds, or my sister becoming addicted to oxy's then heroin. I don't know. Those were very tough years for me to deal with. I guess I subconciously developed a fear from meds dealing with there issues. I just wish I could get over it.
Like last week, I had a urinary tract infection. I was prescribed an antibiotic that I never took, cause I wasn't sure how it was going to "make me feel"
I think for me its all about feeling out of control. I have this, "I always have to be in control feeling" That gets me everytime. I get bad panic attacks when I feel out of control. I really have to breakt his habit.

Closed Thread