It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User
Vacation anxiety

My first full-blown panic attack began on May 20 after seeing the Arcade Fire (a rock band from Canada for the uninitiated) in Chicago. The day after, I had a somewhat stressful dinner with a few of my friend's waspy associates. Four months and a Klonopin and Lexapro prescription (as well as a CT of my chest and a stress test), I'm doing better. I still get the annoying heart flutters and last night, I had to pretty much do all I could do to continue to sit in a smoky restaurant with a few friends when I started to feel "the fear" (e.g. shortness of breath, the desire to flee).

Anyway - I know this band didn't cause my anxiety attack, but I'm seeing them again in Denver - about an 8-hour drive. Alone. I'm worried about those sections on the Interstate where there is no hospital or anything for almost 100 miles. I keep thinking "this is just you driving - but it's a work day of driving".) I also am trying to get out of my comfort zone a little each day. Still...I'm so tempted to scratch going to the show and enjoy two days off from work.

On the other hand, I'm sick of being scared to do things that I used to do without giving the act much thought. I have my breathing down, I have my Klonopin and Lexapro. I have my "positive talk" set up. But still...this is a huge step. I try to keep imagining myself as a freelance writer who is sent to cover this concert and it's "my job" to go. That makes things a bit easier. But still - the last 8-hour trip I made was a nightmare (but that was before I was prescribed the meds).

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

xLilRedx HB User
Re: Vacation anxiety

When I am driving the only thing that calms me down is BLASTING my music and screaming along with it. If you start to feel panicky try it i swear it works. Even classical music helps. Another thing i try is just getting in the far right lane and driving 50. and pretending i am the only one on the road. My freind will actually pull her car over on the highway if she gets a panic attack. Just keep one thought in mind you WILL not die and you cant die from a panic attack.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User
Wink Re: Vacation anxiety

Thanks! - I'm actually looking forward to this. And you're totally right about blasting music to conquer your fears. I've noticed that has worked. When I first started getting these attacks, I would listen to some mellow music (e.g. Feist, Mazzy Star), but I was having some discomfort and I was listening to Spoon (for the uninitiated, a band who is known for having some amazingly addictive choruses as well as some fairly abrhasive sounds) - and it felt SO great to actually blast sone of their songs and scream out the chorus on the road (making sure no one was in the next lane ). Thanks again

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-16-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 09-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
(male)

TryNotFailNot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooBiker View Post
Thanks! -and it felt SO great to actually blast sone of their songs and scream out the chorus on the road (making sure no one was in the next lane ). Thanks again

We want to get to the point that we can do this and care less who's in the next lane

GL

Old 09-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User

Am back from seeing the show. Was a great show and I had virtually no anxiety-related incidents. There was one - when I was in the audience and I could feel my heart skipping a few beats. I chocked it up to concert excitement and waited it out.

Just a general note - it felt so great to re-visit one incident that - while the incident itself didn't trigger an anxiety attack, but set things in motion to have an anxiety attack - and face it head on. There were dozens of times before the concert that I wanted to sell this ticket. I tried to say it was for logistical reasons (e.g. the money I would save could buy an X-Box 360) - but I'm glad I went through it. Regretting not going and mulling over why I wouldn't have gone ... let's just say I'm working on subtracting elements of my neurosis, not adding elements to them.

Closed Thread