It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
Does anyone know the mechanics behind anxiety attacks and chest pains?

I have chest pains related to stress and anxiety. If I am worried about something(like chest pains for instance ) The discomfort can be acute but when I am on meds it isn't, and often just being distracted will cause the pain to disappear.
Where is the actual chest pain though? Is it the heart muscle literally tightening up creating Angina type tempory flow restriction? Or does the stiffness come from near or around the heart somehow and just feel heart related because of where it is? I can't think of any other organ in that spot and GI issues, for those of us who have had them, are in an identifiably different location.
If anxiety pain is in the heart would Nitro cause a release of the pain there, at least temporarily? I am curious because of the amount of Nitro Angina sufferers safely use. Anyone?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

stimi3ak HB User
Re: Does anyone know the mechanics behind anxiety attacks and chest pains?

I have chest pains but mine are around my lungs/esophagus area. When I am anxious (which is all the time for the past 6 months) I breathe funny only taking shallow breaths. I will be tense all day and then have a panic attack. This tension and the strain from the panic attacks have caused the muscles in my chest/lung area to stiffen up and ache. I often feel a tightness in my chest for weeks on end because it's a vicious cycle.

I've also thought I was having a heart attack before because of the pain. I was told by my PCP that anxiety/stress will manifest itself in a variety of ways. For everyone that way is different and the mind is an incredible tool. What that last part means is if you have a thought of pain somewhere and you keep thinking about it the pain will persist and sometimes worsen.

I do not know anything about nitro though. I was just giving you my version of the chest pain that I suffer with anxiety.

Good luck!

Last edited by stimi3ak; 10-13-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread