It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

Shannatoo HB User
Extremely embarassed by anxiety

Hello,

I posted a while back about being extremely embarassed of my anxiety. I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor for a few different health problems, one of them being my anxiety. She gave me a supplement which took the edge off of the anxiety but it is definitely still interrupting my life. However, when I go see her she always asks how my anxiety is and I ALWAYS answer, "its fine" even though it isn't. She is literally the only person I've even told about my anxiety.

I just absolutely hate talking about it, I find it extremely embarassing. My doctor is a very warm and accepting person and I know she would help me but I just cannot get myself to talk about it in any detail. Does anyone else have this problem or any tips about how to get over this extreme embarassment? Quite honestly I don't even know why I am embarassed by it, but I really am. I really want to get help and I know I cannot get proper help until I talk about it, but I just can't bring myself to talk about it.

Any help or support is greatly appreciated!

Shanna

Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Extremely embarassed by anxiety

Hey Shanna,
I'm embarassed by alot of things, but my anxiety has never been one of them.
Everyone handels stress differently. I think stress is a huge factor in our anxiety.

You must not show your anxiety too much or people would have noticed)
You have absolutely nothing to be embarresed over! Those of us with anxiety, tend to keeps things bottled up and worry more than most people. Some people should be embarassed by their behavior. There are a lot of loose cannons out there that go balistic when life is sressfull and display hostility or child lke behaviour. Quite a few of people in my office are anxious. We are usually anxioius at the same time when the job gets extremely stressfull. I don't advertize about my anxiety but have no problem with my family and
friends knowing about it. Take it easy on yourself.Go to your doctor and tell her/him how you feel. Then you will feel better soon.
Best wishes!
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Dont be embarrassed about your anxiety. Treat it like an illness, imagine if it were a physical illness, would you feel embarassed about that? like a physical illness anxiety is the same and you should deal with it like it was a physical illness, get some help and get better

Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

I think you may be a victim of "stigmatitis". (That's my word, not a medical term)

You are afraid of what people will think.

Were you told that only "crazy" people have to get help, or something along those lines, while growing up?

If I were you, the next time you go to see your Doctor, write all of your anxiety difficulties down, and give her the paper. She will understand, and take it from there.....

Good Luck

Lil

Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

Thanks for all of the replies...

I'm not really sure where the embarassment comes from and yes, I am really good at hiding my anxiety from others.

Just this past week when I had an appointment I had written down all of my worries on a calendar the day and time they happened as well as what I was feeling (physical symptoms) and I brought it with me but was too afraid to take it out and give it to the doctor. Also, I truly know that my doctor will openly help me but I have this seemingly irrational fear that she is going to tell me she can't help me and send me to a psychologist (which I previously had a terrible experience with).

Thank you all and I think maybe I will post again before my next appointment for some more encouragement to take the next step and actually talk about it. This is truly the only place I feel comfortable telling how I really feel. I really appreciate it!

-Shanna

Last edited by Shannatoo; 10-28-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
(male)

Christian73 HB User

As someone who is also embarrassed by my anxiety, I want to share with you that one of my primary coping mechanisms is to acknowledge my anxiety to myself and to others. One of my biggest fears is having a panic attack and fainting at work - well, usually on a job-related lunch or visit.

Now, I'm lucky enough to have very understanding family, friends, and colleagues - so I can be honest. So, I will often say to my boss - "I'm really freaking out." And she'll say - "Don't worry. You'll be fine." Just acknowledging it and feeling like I have an ally makes me feel better.

On a related point, if you had a bad experience with a therapist, you should think about seeing another one. I find it invaluable but I've had some crappy experiences too. In fact, I recently changed psychiatrists because I was unhappy with the one I was seeing. Since you're so fond of your doctor, perhaps she can suggest someone who will be a good fit for you.

Feel better. Hugs!

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
(male)

embarrasedkid HB User

I think i know where you are coming from. I dont know what it is with me but i get embarrased so easily. In leesons in my school whenever i am asked a question i immediatley panic and begin to go red. I dont know whats wrong with me but i get embarrased REALLY easily. I want it to go away but dont not what to do, i want to have confidence and not be afraid to speak out in fear of being embaarased.

Closed Thread