It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
(male)

madness1111 HB User
sweating and face going red in social environment

Hope Ive put this in the right thread,

Anyway when Im around people i.e. at college or work or in pub, and there is banter going on, the slightest little dig or coment towards me results in my face going bright red and I can feel myself start sweatin etc basically making me look like a fool, this also happens in other situatuons such as walking into a place with lots of people around, or doing things like talking one on one to someone I don't know that well, I wouldn't describe myself as a shy person but I am very very self conscious and really go into depth in my mind about what people think of me. I am a 20 year old male. Any help on how to overcome this would be appreciated, I guess its all down to my confindence ?

hope you can help, thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User
Re: sweating and face going red in social environment

Yep...confidence.....that's it.

Even though I'm in Canada, my family is very British. They take every opportunity to take a poke at me, then expect me to do the British "stiff upper lip" thing.

They don't much like it when I poke back. They have since stopped poking me!

Because I know what my family is like, I'm gonna assume yours is similar. As are your friends, and co workers.

You can do what I did, and start poking back, and see how they like it, or you can ask them to stop, that it annoys you.

Poking back is the most fun, tho.....

Let us know how it goes....

Lil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I heard sometime ago that the way actors learn to get on the stage and not have fright, is to stop focusing on themselves in a situation. Take your consciousness off of yourself, your face, you in any way. Attend to the person you are talking to, look at them - what are they wearing, how are they standing as if you would need to report what you saw about them, how they were. Notice your surroundings, how is the furniture arranged, what colors are in the room- again like you are going to report on it. You can test your self on this. In my experience there is no way for me to be focused on me and notice much of anything else. The self-consciousness works to narrow our ability to take in other information. In a way we just get more and more of ourselves. It really is a simple concept.Take your attention off of yourself and put it in a different place. Be like Sherlock Holmes , gather information from the person, the scene. Less about you more about your powers of observation. You can start to experiment with it and see if you notice the difference.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

shouyeah HB User

I have the same problem. I will be completely fine until a question is addressed to me, then I can feel my face starting to flush and the sweat starting to form...even if it is a simple question. If I am required to speak, then that's where the problems start. It is starting to impact me at work where I am beginning to participate in more meetings. I'd be interested in reading any tips/tricks you receive from others.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
(female)

Silver264 HB User

There is surgery to correct excessive blushing and sweating but you could end up in much worse shape because of the side effects. The surgery is minimally invasive but the results could be devastating.

Besides taking anti-anxiety medication, some people (male and female) are using a camoflague makeup which covers the redness. They say it gives them the confidence to break the blushing cycle.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy is also an option to help break the blushing cycle.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
(female)

shfiven252 HB User

I also have the same problem. Could be rosacea? I understand how overwhelming it feels when you flush with no real reason behind it, and I've never found a solution that has worked for me to prevent it

Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

niki84 HB User

This is exactly like me. But i also do it when i'm in a group of my friends (never just one on one, just as a group). I really cant deal with groups of people and i also cant deal with talking to someone i dont know (that includes calling to order pizza on the phone).

My dr put me on celexa. I hope it works because its nearly impossible for me to continue to live this way.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
(male)

Matthew White HB User

Had this along time, I have rosey cheeks but not anything abnormal. I have always flushed at points when least expected, I used to get really bad thinking people could see it and then it got worse. Now if it starts I just talk through it as if nothing is hapenning! soon dies down. Just think of them all in there underwear! ha ha it helps believe me!...something like this just has to be dealt with, it relates to how people see you or rather how you think they see you and is therefore twinned with self esteem issues which are easily rectified through PMA. Good luck! be positive you will be ok! I do not think by the way that medication should be used for this kind of thing! its not the magical cure

Last edited by Matthew White; 11-18-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling :)

Closed Thread