It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
(male)

Nexis HB User
Depakote/ Valporic Acid for Anxiety Treatment?

Has anyone on this board had success with controlling anxiety symptoms with Depakote/Valporic Acid?

There's been studies now that its not just for Bipolar conditions and have found empirical evidence to yield anxiety disorders as well.

I am interested in hearing personal success/failure stories regarding this topic.

Thank you!

Last edited by Nexis; 11-12-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Depakote/ Valporic Acid for Anxiety Treatment?

Depakote is a mood stabelizer as well as a anti seizure medication.

Several mood stabelizers are used to control anxiety.

I am on Topamax for potential seizures and it did not control my anxiety. I have now added Zoloft. But others coud have success with depakote.

I personally wouldn't try depakote because of the huge weight gain side effect. I can not afford to gain any more weight.

You can check the Epilepsy site on this board. There are many people with epilepsy that suffer from anxieties because of thier condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
(male)

Nexis HB User

I never heard of mood stablizers being used to control anxiety, yet from what I have heard and read, it seems like a better option than paxil or other benzodiaziapine drugs used for anxiety.

I am more curious to know how a seizure and bipolar drugs works also for anxiety.

Are there many people now being prescribed mood stablizers for anxiety?

Since Zoloft is considered an antidepressant, could you tell me if you were prescribed it for your anxiety or for depression?

How much is your dose if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-12-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

shfiven252 HB User

Personally, I'm bipolar w/extreme anxiety as well. I take depakote and I've found that both my bipolar and my anxiety symptoms are more manageable. However, because I'm suffering both conditions, I can't really determine if it's the depakote that's helping the anxiety or if the stabilization of my moods has helped. I'm also on zoloft and klonopin, so there's yet another kink in the idea that I'll ever be able to figure out what exactly is helping me! If your doctor is wanting to try the depakote on you, I would say you might as well at least try it. As for weight gain, I'll admit that I was a bottomless pit when I first started taking it but that particular side effect subsided and I'm now ok.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I just started at 25mg of Zoloft and will increase to 50mg after 5 days. I was prescribed for both anxiety and depression.

I am taking Klonopin as well to off set any side effects I may have during the initial phase. I normally take klonopin but I would like to come off after a couple on months on the Zoloft. I have to admit this med is the only one I havn't really felt any side effect yet. It is early in the game so we will see.

As far as the mood stabelizers - yes some doctors are prescribing them to people with minor depression and for people who have some anxiety along with sleeping problems. The only problem - I have found - is that they tend to make me feel "uneasy" and that is not a good feeling when you have panic or anxiety. So for the person with some minor issues with anxiety I think it might be OK but not for someone who suffers bad. That's my opinion.

I have to say that they do make me sleepy so I take my Topamax at night and I am now sleeping through the night. Which finally after 25 years of waking up 4 or 5 times a night this is a blessing.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-12-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread